Gravity 1 & Gravity 2

griffithsuk

I have a newer theory, if you fly out to space, after a few miles you float in your spaceship once you leave the pull of earths gravity, so theres little/zero gravity in space, but yet the moon which is 200,000 times further away goes simply around.

So the question is, is there two types of gravity?

Or is mass relevant to gravity, things of different mass fall at different speed/force, but looks the same on earth because you drop something at such a short distance, they "apear" to fall at the same speed/force.

Edited by griffithsuk

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is plenty of gravity in space, the thing about being in orbit at 200km above the surface is that you are actually in free fall, the spacecraft is accelerating towards earth but at the same rate as everything else so it appears as if there is zero gravity but there isn't really.

the effect can be seen in aircraft, if a plane were to follow a particular parabolic arc then those inside would experience 'zero' gravity.

the moon is an orbit.

there's only one type of gravity.

there is plenty of gravity in space, the thing about being in orbit at 200km above the surface is that you are actually in free fall, the spacecraft is accelerating towards earth but at the same rate as everything else so it appears as if there is zero gravity but there isn't really.

the effect can be seen in aircraft, if a plane were to follow a particular parabolic arc then those inside would experience 'zero' gravity.

the moon is an orbit.

there's only one type of gravity.

Ok, what does a man need to do to float inside a space ship? what is the enviroment?

do the speeds of the planets match up to there distance from the sun?

The space station produces gravity, at what distance?

Edited by griffithsuk

I have a newer theory, if you fly out to space, after a few miles you float in your spaceship once you leave the pull of earths gravity, so theres little/zero gravity in space, but yet the moon which is 200,000 times further away goes simply around.

There is gravity in space. Objects float in orbit because they are in freefall, not because there is no gravity.

Not as far as we can tell. Newtonian gravity works well enough to allow us to send rockets throughout the solar system.

do the speeds of the planets match up to there distance from the sun?

Yes

below is some calculations of the planets distances divided by there time of orbit, table taken from here http://www.telescope...lar/solar7.html

if mass is irelevant to gravity i would expect the answers to the equations to be simular, but there not, there decreasing.

distance / time

Mercury 58 / 88.0 = 0.6590909090909091

Venus 108 / 224.7 = 0.4806408544726302

Earth 150 / 365.2 = 0.4107338444687842

Mars 228 / 687.0 = 0.3318777292576419

Jupiter 778 / 4332 = 0.1795937211449677

Saturn 1,429 / 10760 = 0.1328066914498141

Uranus 2,871 / 30700 = 0.0935179153094463

Neptune 4,504 / 60200 = 0.0748172757475083

Pluto 5,913 / 90600 = 0.0652649006622517

if you add the idea of mass IS relevant to gravity then ive multiplied the results by the mass of the planets:

Mercury 0.6590909090909091 * 33.0 = 21.75

Venus 0.4806408544726302 * 487 = 234.0720961281709

Earth 0.4107338444687842 * 598 = 245.618838992333

Mars 0.3318777292576419 * 64.2 = 21.30655021834061

Jupiter 0.1795937211449677 * 190,000 = 34.12280701754386

Saturn 0.1328066914498141 * 56,900 = 7.556700743494422

Uranus 0.0935179153094463 * 8,690 = 812.6706840390883

Neptune 0.0748172757475083 * 10,280 = 650.1621262458471

Pluto 0.0652649006622517 * 1.49 = 0.097244701986755

now the results are all over the place.

Simply can't tell if mass is or isnt relative to gravity.

Anyone expand on my patterns? how does it all work?

Edited by griffithsuk

If you fly out to space, after a few miles you cut the engine... and you float! However, you are also falling back to the Earth. (edit- I should point out, as others have mentioned, that it only seems like you are floating inside your spaceship because both you and the spaceship are falling at the same time). There are ways to cut the engine... float... and not fall back to the Earth... one is to put yourself in an orbit around the Earth so that, as you fall, you keep missing the Earth. Another is to find a position where gravity is neutralized by competing massive objects (lagrange points).

Or is mass relevant to gravity, things of different mass fall at different speed/force, but looks the same on earth because you drop something at such a short distance, they "apear" to fall at the same speed/force.

Mass is relevant.

Edited by losfomot

If you fly out to space, after a few miles you cut the engine... and you float! However, you are also falling back to the Earth. There are ways to cut the engine... float... and not fall back to the Earth... one is to put yourself in an orbit around the Earth so that, as you fall, you keep missing the Earth. Another is to find a position where gravity is neutralized by competing massive objects (lagrange points).

Mass is relevant.

so objects fall at different speeds but apear to fall the same on earth due to the short distance you can drop an object?

Anyone know the speed/distance/mass equation?

Another question... how did they weight the planets?

If you drop on object here on earth, it gets draged around with the planets spin(we know this because when we drop something it falls exactly where we expect it to even though the planet is spinning), at what distance does this happen? is this drag relevant to the moon?Im honistly starting to believe in two gravities? gravities is a new word!

think newton was very down to earth chap but did not think about gravity also drags.

Edited by griffithsuk

so objects fall at different speeds but apear to fall the same on earth due to the short distance you can drop an object?

No. The gravitational force on an object is [math]F_g = mg[/math], where m is the mass of the object. However, [math]F=ma[/math], so the acceleration a is equal to g, which is a constant related to the size of Earth.

No. The gravitational force on an object is [math]F_g = mg[/math], where m is the mass of the object. However, [math]F=ma[/math], so the acceleration a is equal to g, which is a constant related to the size of Earth.

Now im more confused. But ill leave you all to chat if you like with my "gravity also drags".

night.

If you drop an object here on earth, it gets draged around with the planets spin(we know this because when we drop something it falls exactly where we expect it to even though the planet is spinning), at what distance does this happen? is this drag relevant to the moon? Im honistly starting to believe in two gravities?

Edited by griffithsuk

It does not get "dragged around". It is already rotating with the Earth, so when you drop it it continues rotating.

Think of it this way: As you sit on a chair on Earth, you are rotating around at several hundred miles per hour as the Earth spins. If you jump, you do not suddenly fly into the wall as the Earth spins beneath you; you have inertia, and you still move as the Earth does, so you land right back in your chair.

It does not get "dragged around". It is already rotating with the Earth, so when you drop it it continues rotating.

Think of it this way: As you sit on a chair on Earth, you are rotating around at several hundred miles per hour as the Earth spins. If you jump, you do not suddenly fly into the wall as the Earth spins beneath you; you have inertia, and you still move as the Earth does, so you land right back in your chair.

enertia is in a line, but the planet is spining, going what you just said, think we would of noticed that things dont fall exactly where there suposed to.

Yes, we have noticed:

http://en.wikipedia....Coriolis_effect

ive just read a bit.

if you have a spinning wheel in space and an object is attached to it and it gets released, it goes in an exact streight line. Or if this is not so, its called Coriolis_effect?

thing is though, in my "Griffith's Circle" experiment http://www.sciencefo...e-is-my-circle/ when it does fly off its in an exact streight line(atleast it looks that way)

what keeps hot air baloons going around with the planet? "Gravity also drags?"! It's all too exact to say that gravity does not drag.

Now this could be geting interesting.

A mate told me today my own theory "Are we faling through space?" that was amasing, so strange.

Edited by griffithsuk

Yes, that's because objects travel in straight lines when they're released.

The air around Earth is spinning along with the Earth, and hot air balloons just float in that air. Gravity does not drag.

Thats fine. gravity drags the air around too.

Edited by griffithsuk

Gravity doesn't drag the air. It pulls it down, against the ground, which has lots of pointy things which tend to interact with the air.

then what about the hot air baloon?

this gravity drags works with atomic precision else we would of noticed it's effect.

just a far off idea, where these 2 gravities meet there could be a reaction, is there energy there we can harnest? (GRE) Gravities reaction Energy!

could build a G.R.E.E.N Gravities Reaction Energy Enabled Network.

Im getting good at this.

Edited by griffithsuk

if mass is irelevant to gravity i would expect the answers to the equations to be simular, but there not, there decreasing.

Mass is relevant to gravity. The mass of the satellite is not relevant to its speed. Your relationships aren't constant because the dependence isn't linear.

For an object moving in a circle, the relationship is

[math]\frac{GMm}{r^2} = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/math]

[math]v = \sqrt{GM/r}[/math]

One day people may believe in my ideas.

The hot air balloon moves with the air. If there's a wind, it goes with the wind. If there's still air, it stays still.

yes it can stay still in relation with the planet. how? because gravity also drags!

One day people may believe in my ideas.

yes it can stay still in relation with the planet. how? because gravity also drags!

Edited by griffithsuk

Question:

If I take a large planet, put some air on it, and set it all spinning, with the air spinning too, and then leave it be for a few million years, will the air stop spinning?

Question:

If I take a large planet, put some air on it, and set it all spinning, with the air spinning too, and then leave it be for a few million years, will the air stop spinning?

True, modern theory is it will spin forever(might not be true though, we may slow down due to anything yet not known)

so your saying that air is orbiting the earth?

and an object to maintain an orbit with earth needs to be at the same rotation speed as earth? lets pretend theres is or is not air as this does not matter, correct?

A final answer I need is this:

I have a rocket, i shoot streight up, im still spining around with the planet. I fly towards the sun. Sometime later Im somewhere between the gravity of the sun and earth, im in limbo. I carry on im now in the pull of the suns gravity.

A. Do I start to spin with the sun? and if turn around back towards the earth, i will start to spin with the earth?

Or

B. Do i not start to spin with the sun? and if turn around back towards the earth, i will not start to spin with the earth?

If it's 'A' then gravity drags, else if it's 'B' then im just wasting peoples time on this one.

Edited by griffithsuk

so your saying that air is orbiting the earth?

Sort of. It's buoyed up by the air underneath it as well, so it doesn't need to orbit at 17,000 miles per hour to stay at a constant altitude.

I have a rocket, i shoot streight up, im still spining around with the planet. I fly towards the sun. Sometime later Im somewhere between the gravity of the sun and earth, im in limbo. I carry on im now in the pull of the suns gravity.

Do I start to spin with the sun? and if turn around back towards the earth, i will start to spin with the earth?

Or

Do i not start to spin with the sun? and if turn around back towards the earth, i will not start to spin with the earth?

The latter. You will fall directly towards the sun, ignoring any spin it might have.

Sort of. It's buoyed up by the air underneath it as well, so it doesn't need to orbit at 17,000 miles per hour to stay at a constant altitude.

The latter. You will fall directly towards the sun, ignoring any spin it might have.

Ok, fair, what feels strange though is the rocket on earth is at the rotation speed of the planet, when i fly off why would the rotation speed of the rocket increase to stay directly above its start point? there must be some drag going on here for the rocket to return exactly (atomic accuracy) to its start point if I stoped its thrust and it fell back down. In theory that is.

In fact the rotation speed of the rocket must decrease on return. Something to think about too.

There must be drag for all this to happen. :)

Im confident now.

Double wammy! gravity must drag else there would be a problem with people walking with/in the space station, it's not friction.

Edited by griffithsuk