Linux

I thought i would educate the general public who may not be aware of the great educational resources most linux distro's offer, theres a huge list of scientific/mathematical tools for your disposal. The list goes from Bioengineering to IC development, if you have any questions on a specific tool you need, ill tell you which distro has that resource.

also all software is open source (free for you and me)

I find that Linux is the best for stability and as a workstation OS.

I use it for school more than Windows.

Because Linux OS's mostly lack the inability to corrupt due to spyware and viruses, I never have to worry about losing my data due to those things.

I think the biggest shortfall of Linux is in the high-end video game market, though the last time I looked into it, it seemed that I was catching glimpses of compatibility. Are there any hindrances to reproducing the most high tech video game programs in Linux other than the law of supply and demand? Obviously, you have to have the right hardware to do what you want. I presumed that the only hindrance so far has been a lack of technical detail available in the programming languages that Linux has to offer (strictly for the video game industry) but I don't really keep up with video games that much. When you consider the power and detail that goes into the latest Sony or Xbox games and the fact that Linux is only used by a small segment of the market, its easy to see why Linux is not always catered to. Is Linux capable of matching all of this performance in the video game industry or would new programming have to be devised?

Note that I am not trying to bash Linux, I was just wondering about its potential capability.

Edited by Realitycheck

Well performance wise linux would have great potential as a gaming machine, the biggest issue as you say is compatibility or lack of and the size of the linux community cant cater for high end games because they are created for windows machines that make the most of the newest microsoft technology (.net etc), there is a little bit of hope though in the shape of emulators or more specifically WINE, we do have an issue with wine tho given that once it makes a game compatible the next level game has already been released so we will always be behind.

i would like to emphasize that i dont think linux will ever be an OS with games in mind, its more of a learning resource or tool for computer geeks :P

its the greatest OS for scientist's not gamers :P sonic 2 anyone?

It hasn't been exclusive to geeks for some time now, and Linux works exceptionally well as a workstation. For example, I convinced my dad (who is technologically challenged to say the least) to let me install Ubuntu on their desktop, to my mother's great dismay.

Dad got a new camera the other day, and it was hopeless trying to get it to work with their laptop (that's got Vista), probably mostly due to all the junk they've acquired on it. On their desktop, it worked straight away, no drivers or anything.

But anyhow, I mostly wanted to brag about my dad.

When the two mathematics schools in UMIST and VUM in Manchester united there was some debate about using Linux or Windows in the new school. Windows won in the end, but I have no idea why.

The advantage of Windows is that almost everyone else uses it together with Microsoft Office. Now Microsoft have bought Skype it seems no better time to switch to a version of Linux.

• 3 weeks later...

When the two mathematics schools in UMIST and VUM in Manchester united there was some debate about using Linux or Windows in the new school. Windows won in the end, but I have no idea why.

The advantage of Windows is that almost everyone else uses it together with Microsoft Office. Now Microsoft have bought Skype it seems no better time to switch to a version of Linux.

Skype works on alot of linux distro's, although there have been some issues recently it doesnt change the fact linux is the best base for educational purposes and thats for all science subjects not just computer science, the software center and tight community makes learning alot easier.....i would presume windows got picked due to the general knowledge levels of windows campared to linux. its just called manchester not united :P haha

i using RED HAT FOR MY RHCE ,what is a good hacking linux kernel?

im not sure it matters what kernels good for 'hacking' if you dont know how to write your own code for networks you wont be able to exploit anything other than open ports ;)

if you do know how to write good networking code then anything with alot of networking features built in + alot of your specific programming lib's although these can be downloaded.