gossip as social control

lemur

How effective is social control by means of gossip and reactions to the knowledge gained through gossip? Are people subconsciously prone to behaving in ways that maintain a good reputation or is there a great deal of freedom to behave as you please and enjoy a happy social life regardless of what others say about you to each other?

All social animals are controlled by the opinion of their peers. This is most evident among primates and dogs, and of course humans. An individual who is not so socially controlled becomes an out cast, and will be restricted from enjoying the benefits of the group, if not completely driving away. Our morality is directly tied to our animal nature.

However, only ignorant people indulge in gossip. I am greatly disturbed by the growing popularity of gossip in our culture, and the overwhelming switch to victimizing the subject of gossip, instead of rejecting the gossiper. This is an indication to me, that we have degraded as a civilization, and no longer live up to the high standards we once had.

All social animals are controlled by the opinion of their peers. This is most evident among primates and dogs, and of course humans. An individual who is not so socially controlled becomes an out cast, and will be restricted from enjoying the benefits of the group, if not completely driving away. Our morality is directly tied to our animal nature.

However, only ignorant people indulge in gossip. I am greatly disturbed by the growing popularity of gossip in our culture, and the overwhelming switch to victimizing the subject of gossip, instead of rejecting the gossiper. This is an indication to me, that we have degraded as a civilization, and no longer live up to the high standards we once had.

I wonder if it isn't related to the declining popularity of paternalistic culture in which gossip was dismissed as feminine and therefore inferior. It seems like culture has evolved to reject paternalism as male-supremacy, which may be good in various ways, but I wonder if it is possible for feminine culture to develop an independence ethic where it becomes common once again to stand up against gossip and believe in thinking for oneself and reasoning for oneself what is right/wrong and good/bad. It seems like traditional femininity rejects this as being too confrontational and not consensus-oriented enough.

I wonder if it isn't related to the declining popularity of paternalistic culture in which gossip was dismissed as feminine and therefore inferior. It seems like culture has evolved to reject paternalism as male-supremacy, which may be good in various ways, but I wonder if it is possible for feminine culture to develop an independence ethic where it becomes common once again to stand up against gossip and believe in thinking for oneself and reasoning for oneself what is right/wrong and good/bad. It seems like traditional femininity rejects this as being too confrontational and not consensus-oriented enough.

I see things differently. I am finding it very frustrating to have meaning discussion in these forums, including a history forum. It appears men are fact oriented, but they do not seem to consider values and meaning as important discussion. Several responded to what a good curriculum would be, but they are silent when asked what should be the purpose of education. How you determine what is a good curriculum without considering the purpose of education? And like in the history forum where they argue which country had the best fighting men? Yeah, like that is important compared to, in which country do men have the biggest cocks? :lol: Sorry, but honestly I am so frustrated by the lack of meaning in these discussions.

This thread is a very important subject, considering how well men like Bush and bin Laden stir people to acts war. Especially the republican party has been very successful at destroying political competitors with gossip. I am horrified by what the media spreads round, considering I remember when gossiping was considered bad taste and shameful, degrading the person who gossiped. We valued protecting the privacy and dignity of others, knowing as we do to others, others would do to us. The power of gossip is huge, and this thread is being ignored! But if you to do a thread on the latest military weapon, it would probably get attention.

When it comes to confrontation, women can be intense. Commonly females are used as the symbol of liberty, and as defenders. A problem with having them in the military is they are more apt to question authority than males are. Mother bears do not avoid confrontation when their children are concerned, and female humans are just as strong when it comes to defending children. We used to associate virtue with strength, and I have been a political activist. I don't think traditional femininity rejects confrontation, but it is wise to be selective and choose our battles carefully.

I would consider values much more important over history. Meaning is somewhat superficial because it is subject to semantics and misinterpretation. Practically every word in the dictionary has more than one meaning. It is the nature of squigly designs, art if you will, all subject to interpretation, but I won't harp on that.

Then, of course, you have warring value systems. Freedom vs. control, individuality vs. group dynamics. Corruption is a big problem.