Request to have a BioEngineering sub-board (under Engineering)

I was reading a thread, and I somewhat agree with the development of a Bioengineering board. Of course, I'm biased, as I have a biology background.

I think it would be a nice addition to the board. I see a lot interesting bioengineering topics out there these days, ranging from cellular biology (such as plasma membrane plasticity) to body mechanics. A lot of the stuff has a nice mathematical, engineering spin to it. Again, I don't always fully understand the stuff, such as chemical guidance throughout the body; but I still find it fascinating and worth a bit of a read from time to time.

Maybe the existence of such a forum would incite the activity! I would like to have discussions on this topic and will maybe one day be capable of actually doing so. In the mean time if others were to discuss issues this would give me more to read. I'm just up-voting the suggestion here. :D

Maybe the existence of such a forum would incite the activity! I would like to have discussions on this topic and will maybe one day be capable of actually doing so. In the mean time if others were to discuss issues this would give me more to read. I'm just up-voting the suggestion here. :D

is this of any interest to you?

http://www.inbiosa.e...article=acib-11

its from a thread in computer science but it seems to cross atleast 5 if not more subjects for example mathematics, computers, biology, physics and philosophy

Edited by keelanz

Maybe the existence of such a forum would incite the activity!

I would like to hope so. I would be happy to be exposed to more biological ideas and methods in mathematical biology.

I would like to hope so. I would be happy to be exposed to more biological ideas and methods in mathematical biology.

I agree, the arXiv has quite a few interesting papers in their "quantitative biology" section. Something I didn't even know existed until I saw it there.

is this of any interest to you?

http://www.inbiosa.e...article=acib-11

its from a thread in computer science but it seems to cross atleast 5 if not more subjects for example mathematics, computers, biology, physics and philosophy

I looked over the site and I believe they may have more ulterior motives, possibly delving into pseudoscience. The first thing that struck me was their choice in symbol and its incorporation of the golden ratio. This for me implies a holistic approach implementing numerology and weird stuff that I know very little about because I tend to not indulge in these, what I consider, 'naive' practices. This was further asserted when I read the following under objectives:

Objectives

The driving principles of the INBIOSA initiative are:

* focusing on "off-road", i.e. non-mainstream scientific research in mathematics and computation engineering targeting a synergetic integration and exchange with natural and life science disciplines;

* enforcing holistic multidisciplinary approaches to investigation;

* identifying research areas which are crucial for accelerated, yet balanced, transformation of the future information society towards eco-awareness.

So no, not really keelanz. I am far more interested in rigorous mathematical studies that can result in a better understanding of biological activity!

@ajb, exactly :D

Edited by Xittenn

So no, not really keelanz. I am far more interested in rigorous mathematical studies that can result in a better understanding of biological activity!

@ajb, exactly :D

It was my opinion thats exactly what they are after, biomathics is the mathematical analysis of biological material. It has a lot of philosophical dependencies but only because of what the science itself suggest's...... i thought the link was asking for a means to reach AI and to deal with the philosophical consequences of the AI.

"INBIOSA’a goal is a set of novel mathematical formalisms capable of addressing the multiple facets of an integral model and a general theory for biocomputation within an adequate engineering frame of relevance. The central idea is to develop theoretical foundations that can bring together the huge range of biological (genetic. molecular, protein-based) knowledge by developing theories that cross boundaries. This aims to form the base of a long-term fundamental research programme in computation, mathematics, systems biology that we call Integral Biomathics."

It was my opinion thats exactly what they are after, biomathics is the mathematical analysis of biological material. It has a lot of philosophical dependencies but only because of what the science itself suggest's...... i thought the link was asking for a means to reach AI and to deal with the philosophical consequences of the AI.

"INBIOSA’a goal is a set of novel mathematical formalisms capable of addressing the multiple facets of an integral model and a general theory for biocomputation within an adequate engineering frame of relevance. The central idea is to develop theoretical foundations that can bring together the huge range of biological (genetic. molecular, protein-based) knowledge by developing theories that cross boundaries. This aims to form the base of a long-term fundamental research programme in computation, mathematics, systems biology that we call Integral Biomathics."

Well when I see some math and some biology I will read the content, as I always do! We could start a thread if you wish? :)

Well when I see some math and some biology I will read the content, as I always do! We could start a thread if you wish? :)

Yes it would be nice, what is bioengineering though? in relation to this, the physical aspects?

a thread like, BioMathical computational engineering?

this is interesting

EDIT: wiki told me what bioengineering is =D

Edited by keelanz