Would this blow up?

Frank Stein

I'm just bringing a conversation I started in the "Introduction" thread to a more appropriate forum.

I plan to use the two fluids from "glow sticks" to simulate a "nuclear fuel" in a beaker being discovered by the protagonist in my film. I have tried it and the effect is very striking, and the light emitted is adequate for video.

But although it's a brilliant effect, I thought I might be able to give it a bit more punch by making fumes rise from the coloured fluid when they're mixed. The traditional way of getting "chemical fumes" in movies is to plonk some dry ice into water.

So I was wondering, what might happen if I had a few small pellets, (about the size of tic-tacs) in the beaker with the first fluid, when I poured in the other fluid? I understand one of the chemicals in those sticks is plan peroxide, but I'd not sure what the other one is. I have, however, read that it is non-toxic. But would it remain benign if CO2 was bubbled into it?

Anyone have any ideas on that?

Thanks.

The brightness of the light will fall when the mixture is cold- it might not look so good.

I don't know if CO2 will mess up the reaction but (as long as you don't try to do it in a sealed container) I don't think it will do any harm. Try it on a small scale first.

Yeah can't imagine there being any problem, except that it won't look like nuclear fuel perhaps lol, but I'm sure that won't be an issue unless you need scientiic accuracy in your film or something.

Scientific accuracy in a movie?! I've never seen that, Farmboy!:P

Yeah, none of my audience are going to know what nuclear fuel looks like, anyway. So, it'll look like whatever I tell them it looks like! LOL! That's one of the fun things about making movies.

Thanks.