British Double Summer Time

ewmon

(I put it here due to its connection with the seasons.)

Okay, so, here's an article on British Double Summer Time.

I read the article, and I read Wikipedia on it, and I still don't know what it is.

What is it, how does it work, and why is it better? (...in simple monosyllables, please.)

And is it equivalent to America's Daylight Savings Time, or does it go beyond DST?

Is it the same as "Single/Double Summer Time? (Yes, Virginia, there is such a thing.)

basically instead of normal daylight savings time, they add/subtract two hours instead of one.

basically, its crap for anyone north of london as the sun won't rise till about 10am.

i believe the whole campaign is about stopping kids walking home from school in the dark, and it does solve that problem but it does so by making them walk TO school in the dark.

its a crap idea.

My understanding is that two systems are being considered. The first is using GMT in the winter and GMT+2 hours in the summer which would be expected to increase tourism because of the long, light summer evenings.

The second is using GMT+1 hours in the winter and GMT+2 hours in the summer. As well as boosting tourism in the summer months it would put the clocks in the UK in step with much of Europe which would be good for business.

Edited by TonyMcC

As well as boosting tourism in the summer months it would put the clocks in the UK in step with much of Europe which would be good for business.

[edit] Do I read correctly that they basically want to join the Central European Timezone, both in summer and in winter times?

Why do they call it "double summer time" if it is also in effect during winters?

Edited by CaptainPanic

I detest daylight saving time. People talk about it as if it magically creates more time or at least daylight hours, it's just a farce. And breaks my body clock twice a year. I shall spend most of this week feeling completely and utterly dead.

I detest daylight saving time. People talk about it as if it magically creates more time or at least daylight hours, it's just a farce. And breaks my body clock twice a year. I shall spend most of this week feeling completely and utterly dead.

I do that every morning, regardless of the timezone or summer/wintertime :)

Coffee is my placebo.

[edit] Do I read correctly that they basically want to join the Central European Timezone, both in summer and in winter times?

Why do they call it "double summer time" if it is also in effect during winters?

Yes - that is one of the proposals. Office hours etc. would be the same throughout much of Europe and the UK aiding communication.

I guess they had to call it something! Perhaps if the proposal is accepted they might call it something more logically correct! Come to think of it perhaps the name would be ok because the change in summer time would be double the change in the winter time ?

Edited by TonyMcC

Can UTC only exist on the moon if a clock was left there ? If it can then does anyone know where on the moon someone may have left a clock ? ( Assuming of course someone may have previously lived there for a short time )

Edited by hal_2011

Can UTC only exist on the moon if a clock was left there ? If it can then does anyone know where on the moon someone may have left a clock ? ( Assuming of course someone may have previously lived there for a short time )

If you are on the moon anyway, I think we can assume you have some technology at your disposal. So, just Google it. (Why wouldn't you be able to have internet on the moon? Lots of signals travel by satellite, might as well beam some to and from the moon)?

For almost all normal purposes UTC + a few seconds is accurate enough... the little delay that you get because the moon is so far away is negligible.

Edited by CaptainPanic

If I understand correctly then the suggestion is that to find the time , while a person is on the moon , this person would have to communicate with Earth . Does this mean UTC exists on Earth and does not exist on the Moon because there is no available reference of UTC locally ? ( locally relative to being on the Moon )

If I understand correctly then the suggestion is that to find the time , while a person is on the moon , this person would have to communicate with Earth . Does this mean UTC exists on Earth and does not exist on the Moon because there is no available reference of UTC locally ? ( locally relative to being on the Moon )

Why would time be a localized thing?

UTC is just an agreement worldwide, why not the moon as well?

I think localization gives time more legitimacy . For example , if I was walking around London and a person asked me what the time was , it might be fine to quote the time in Paris and still be technically correct . But , London has it's own time . This is why under the current system quoting the time in London as 6 PM is better than saying , " its 7 PM CET " , while being in London .

As for the Moon , I think I'll keep my invention of Lunar Standard Time secret for another while ........... oops !