fear, the source of evil

iglak

these are two of my recent LiveJournal entries.

ok, so i've been thinking a lot, and came to a couple conclusions, discoveries, epiphanies (one of which i made a year ago)

Fear, the source of all evil

Bullies, they are everywhere.

Why does a bully act the way they do?

They start out with some friends that regard them as powerful. Then, someone else comes along that has the capability to threaten that power. The bullies fear the loss of that power, so they do what they can to lower their opponent's abilities, by inflicting fear in them. At the same time, this power and show of power attracts a group of people. Notice that whenever you confront a bully, without showing fear, that they act without thinking, be it spurting out meaningless dribble (that the group laughs to, without hearing what was said), trying to punch the enemy, or bringing out a weapon. This acting without thinking is caused by fear, the fear of loss of power. This fear causes the bully to panic, which makes them act without thinking or caring, just following their instincts, unconscious, id. The only way to defeat a bully is to not be afraid, not of losing power, not of the bully, not of the bully's hypnotized group.

9/11, the day "we americans came together", or as i like to call it, "the day three terrorists succeeded in terrorizing an entire nation". Seriously, 5000+ people died that day, and their lives were wasted by the government. Instead of uniting the people and providing information and understanding, the government provided ignorance and enhanced the fear a thousand fold. This fear caused everyone to panic, the entire country. This panic caused the white, protestant republicans to fear every other race, religion, and party even more than they had before. It caused all americans to fear eachother.

As whatshisname pointed out in "Bowling for Columbine" the problem with the U.S. is fear.

Guns, sex, cars, planes, kids, pockets, knives, viruses, drugs, angst, depression, music, entertainment... all of them are prevalent in our country, because they are all feared by the masses. The sole reason guns kill so many people in the U.S. each year is because people fear guns and their power. The sole reason unsafe sax is happening everywhere you look in the U.S. is because people are afraid that their kids might be corrupted by learning something like that, and that people will become corrupted by having sex-related items readily available. The sole reason drugs are so often misused and abused in the U.S. is because people are so afraid of them.

Columbine, only 13 people died, but trust in kids and ourselves died with them. Now people are afraid that some kid will use a weapon to kill someone, but they forgot that weapons have other uses, and that everything can be a weapon.

this leads me to...

Trust, the source of all happiness

Let's start with distrust and depression...

i'll use my mom and i as an example. Yesterday, i didn't eat as much as i wanted to, because my mom came upstairs and found my plate only half empty. Automatically, she assumed that i was having problems at school or problems with firends. She didn't trust that i could have a reason for not eating the entire plate. This has happened a lot before, my mom thinks i'm not eating much at all. Last night i realized that the reason i don't eat as much as my hunger tells me sometimes is BECAUSE she doesn't trust me. People always say "give me a reason to trust you and i will". Well, in actuality, that only makes the person think that you can only be trusted when you are told to do something. This is EXACTLY like handing candy to a baby just because the baby is whining and crying for it, it only makes them spoiled. So instead of giving my mom the candy, i have the chore of making her realize she is wrong.... By not eating as much as i should, and not showing signs of weakness, i show that i am trustworthy of knowing how much i should be eating. Yet all she does is panic, she fears that the non-existent problems i have might hurt my future, or her. And because she doesn't trust me, i don't trust her to know what's right for me, which furthers the problem. To quote a cartoon network show...

"Why don't you trust me?"

"Because you haven't earned it."

"How? How do i earn it?"

"You can start by trusting me!"

Now back to Columbine, the after effects. After Columbine, parents started thinking that Video games, Movies, Music, and Television would corrupt their "fragile" kids into becoming monsters that would hunt people down for fun. The parents refused to trust their kids to know what's right and wrong, to know how to deal with things. Now there is even more "angst" between parents and their kids. The parents "only want what's best", but what is best is for them to trust their kids to be able to make the right decisions.

And back to me... my laziness with homework, and my unwillingness to study is also caused by my mom not trusting me. She thinks that i will suddenly become stupid if i don't study and don't work constantly. she's already tried to blame my laziness on video games (and more recently FFXI) and the fact that i don't do much work in the summer either. Yet she fails to realize that even when i am locked in a room with nothing to do but my homework, i'd chose sleep or daydreaming over allowing her that candy....

and when coupled with why i don't have motivation to do busy work, bad combo.

trust and fear are very connected.

hehe, that kinda turned out more angsty than i had hoped, but oh well :P

i wish i was able to write it last night when i had thought of it...

these are somewhat disconnected thoughs because i wrote this a day after i thought of it, and i sort of think in a disconnected order, but it should be readable.

the second entry is in my next post on this thread.

realating to emotions and actions:

fear is the source of all evil.

all emotions come from fear.

happiness: the fealing that fear has just left.

sadness: the fear that something happy might never come to you, or come back.

trust: the feeling that you, in no way, fear a person or thing.

distrust: the fear that someone will hurt you or hurt themselves if you weren't helping them.

inferiority: the feeling of being afraid that you aren't good enough, or that other people won't think you are good enough.

superiority: the fear of someone that has the potential to be better than you, but doesn't know it. or, the knowledge of absence of fear when others have fear.

angst: reacting to distrust.

wait, there's something that isn't related to fear...

the want to help others.

and spawning from that is anger: the want to harm or instill fear in someone that has harmed or instilled fear in you or someone else. or, the want to help someone that fears you or your help. or, the want to succeed where others have failed.

a lot of anger involves fear, but the emotion of anger merely pumps adrennalin and gets you motivated to do whatever you are angry for.

i like anger, it can be controlled to be very useful and helpful, and anger doesn't have to be directed at anything.

and love: the complete trust in someone, and the want to help the person in whatever ways possible.

and something else not fear related, lust.

and actually, greed seems very unrelated to fear also...

fear causes panic, which causes unconscious actions based on the fight or flight response.

if there are any emotions you can think of that don't involve fear, please mention them. or if you see any other possible ways the above emotions are created, please mention them too.

most inspirational quote from a movie ever, for me.

"I will not fear.

Fear is the enemy.

I will face my fear and i will let it pass through me!" (said with some anger in the voice)

- Children of Dune, SciFi Channel movie. I have no idea if it's in the book or not.

so yeah, any thoughts, criticism, or even flames?

If those are LiveJournal entries, why didn't you just post a link?

umm... ok, if you want them

here

and here

i ddin't post links because there is some stuff in those entries that aren't entirely relevant to the subject, and i don't know what other effects there might be of me posting links to my livejournal, if any.

Didn't read most of the stuff' date=' just the title.

Want, the source of evil

Hate, the source of evil

many others would be valid also.[/quote']

my post is also trying to say that hate comes from fear, and that want does not create evil, only fear of want or fear of not getting your want (in relation to want only, i mean).

*edit* please read the post before you respond, and it is also not uncommon to have ironic titles or titles that lure the reader into reading.