What is the concentration of sucrose in your typical potato?

Mr Rayon

In mol L-1, what is the concentration of sucrose in your typical potato?

Does it vary extensively depending on the type of potato?

If so, then I am also wondering whether I would be able to get a list of different types of potatoes with their differing concentrations of sucrose?

Edited by Voltman

Here is an article I quickly picked from a Google Scholar search- http://www.plantphys.../41/10/1657.pdf

Check the references for more research.

Here is the original Scholar search with pages of related research- http://scholar.googl...s_ylo=&as_vis=0

There is a lot on this because of the effects of sugar on processing of food products. In this case potato chips.

SM

Edited by SMF

Potatoes are roughly 20% carbohydrate of which almost all is starch. About 1% of the weight is composed of sugars and I suspect that practically all of that is glucose, rather than sucrose.

The exact composition may vary more with storage duration and conditions than with variety.

Why do you want a list?

It could be an osmosis experiment, where the OP needs to calculate the concentration of the potato.

haha yep - correct!

I just was wondering what the concentration of sucrose would need to be for it to be considered isotonic. It's a pretty common experiment...

...but nevermind already finished. :rolleyes: