IB (International Baccalaureate)

Djordje

I've recently been awarded a 1-year scholarship in an independent UK school. When asked, I opted for IB curriculum - though I might not attend this curriculum as the number

places offered is limited. I would like to know anything about this programme especially the general impression and experience of teachers and/or students involved in this.

Thanks

My dad teaches an IB program in a US high school. He really likes it and thinks it prepares dedicated students well for college. He likes better than the more widespread AP system that most US high schools use.

My dad teaches an IB program in a US high school. He really likes it and thinks it prepares dedicated students well for college. He likes better than the more widespread AP system that most US high schools use.

I've heard bits about the "dreaded Extended essay" - is it really that difficult to do? Which subjects would most "scientists" take? Does the program require a lot of research and practical work?

Why so?

Why does you dad think that the IB program is more superior than the AP system?

Why so?

Why does you dad think that the IB program is more superior than the AP system?

He's taught AP before. I think he likes the fact that IB is international, so you can have a good sense of your scores relative to people around the world, not just US. Furthermore, [i think he said that] the standards are better. On the other hand, the IB is way more programmatic, so it's a bigger commitment for students since there are minimum course requirements, etc.

Djorde - I am sure that UCAS or some such organisation can guide you on the hard realities of access to higher education with an IB. Depth of learning and enjoyment are one factor, however we also want to be able to get into the university of our choice. I have no idea what the relative merits are myself - but I would want to know what the Russell Group etc thought the merits were before I took a decision.

Djorde - I am sure that UCAS or some such organisation can guide you on the hard realities of access to higher education with an IB. Depth of learning and enjoyment are one factor, however we also want to be able to get into the university of our choice. I have no idea what the relative merits are myself - but I would want to know what the Russell Group etc thought the merits were before I took a decision.

IB is accepted worldwide and I still don't have a clue on what my specialization would be - I believe it'd be IT. I'm not yet sure so I decided to demand IB - still I might not get one and attend an A-level school in UK.

Djorde - Oh yeah it is definitely internationally recognized - and I believe every undergrad course will accept it (don't quote me on this) but what might be worth getting a handle on is the relative difficulty of offers. A levels have kinda topped out now - many universities demand straight As for the majority of courses. Could the greater span of grading on the IB benefit or endanger you on this? Perhaps this is a bit cynical but I would want to know if I was putting myself in a position where I might have to way outperform A level students to get on the same course - it could be the other way around of course.

Personally I wish I had been given the choice - my school did A levels and that was it. Good luck whatever path you take

Djorde - Oh yeah it is definitely internationally recognized - and I believe every undergrad course will accept it (don't quote me on this) but what might be worth getting a handle on is the relative difficulty of offers. A levels have kinda topped out now - many universities demand straight As for the majority of courses. Could the greater span of grading on the IB benefit or endanger you on this? Perhaps this is a bit cynical but I would want to know if I was putting myself in a position where I might have to way outperform A level students to get on the same course - it could be the other way around of course.

Personally I wish I had been given the choice - my school did A levels and that was it. Good luck whatever path you take

Thanks. Indeed every undergraduate course will accept it such as it is (with the exception of Oxford and Cambridge who have the entrance exams). I will quote Oxford's site: "Many students who apply to Oxford are taking A-levels but please note that any candidate who has already taken, or who is currently studying, any other equivalent qualifications is also most welcome to apply." I believe that I won't put myself into a disadvantage if I take the IB - it's a small chance for me to get it ( 9/45 schools offering the HMC scholarships offer IB and every year there's an increasing interest in IB). Whether I take IB or A-level, the most important thing is that I'm ready to get the most out of it.

Djorde - Sounds like you have a good handle on it and have your eyes wide open - that's almost all the battle.

I'm only a bit concerned if I'll be able to fully understand lessons in English as I'm from MNE and I've never been to an English-speaking country.

If your spoken English is half as good as your written English you will be fine. Get BBC radio 4 or BBC Worldservice on the radio or through the web to get your ear used to spoken English. The other benefit of science, IT, etc. is that a common language of maths almost exists to ease any communication problems - I presume Montenegran schools and universities all use the same systems and notations as we do in England, so you are almost half way there. BTW I am sure that the British Council will have an office in Montenegro - they might well be able to offer seminars etc by native English speakers so that you can get your first taste in a more familiar setting.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/montenegro.htm

Edited by imatfaal

If your spoken English is half as good as your written English you will be fine. Get BBC radio 4 or BBC Worldservice on the radio or through the web to get your ear used to spoken English. The other benefit of science, IT, etc. is that a common language of maths almost exists to ease any communication problems - I presume Montenegran schools and universities all use the same systems and notations as we do in England, so you are almost half way there. BTW I am sure that the British Council will have an office in Montenegro - they might well be able to offer seminars etc by native English speakers so that you can get your first taste in a more familiar setting.

I had taken seminars of English before (they were run by native English speakers) and I got to C1 of Common European Framework - my spoken interaction with classmates will be great I'm sure, I was only concerned whether it'd be OK for academic purposes. I already began listening to BBC just to be back in English :) As for notation, no worries :)