Mt Saint Helens could blow again

Mad Mardigan

A “Volcano Advisory” – Level II – was issued at 10:40 a.m. Wednesday morning, Sept. 29, 2004 . A “Volcano Advisory” means that USGS has determined that “processes are underway that could culminate in hazardous volcanic activity, but the evidence does not indicate that a life or property threatening event is imminent.” USGS issued this “Advisory” based on accelerated seismic activity at Mount St. Helens – 3 to 4 earthquakes per minute as of Wednesday morning and preliminary measurements showing a slight 1-2 centimeter movement in the dome, caused by earthquakes over the past five days.

I just TXT MSG`d Yogi and BooBoo, apparently they`re at a picnic right now, and don`t want to be disturbed :(

on a serious note though, Mt,Etna has also breached and there`s plenty new lava flows now too, kinda makes you wonder what`s going on???

could there be possible subterranian shockwaves passing through the earth, one event triggering the other perhaps?

LOL. Seriously though, I thought that ys park had a build up of magma under it I forgot the term use for the type of eruption but very very bang. Its when instead of lava making its way through small passages to the surface it builds up in a cavity. There have been numerous measurements taken and the grounds of ys park are rising and swelling with magma and at some point it will go pop. :eek:ps What brought you to England if you don't mind me asking and aren't fed up with answering this question.

Geez I rem it well from when I was a kid, we were cleaning dust off everything for the best part of a week, and we were a few Thousand mile away in Calgary Canada!

I missed it since I was born in the latter part of 1980, but my uncle who lived in Los Angeles, California at the time said that it too was covered in a thin layer of ash. That's about 1200 miles away.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/10/03/mt.st.helens/index.html

After the hiccup, she is still shaking.

VANCOUVER, Washington (CNN) -- A small volcanic tremor shook Mount St. Helens early Sunday, less than a day after the volcano spewed a cloud of steam and scientists warned that a dangerous eruption was imminent.

The tremor Sunday was milder than the previous day's gas eruption, which prompted geologists to raise the volcano alert to Level 3, indicating an eruption could occur within 24 hours.

The tremor began about 3 a.m. (6 a.m. ET) and lasted about 25 minutes, said Peter Frenzen, a scientist at the Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument. The volcano is about 50 miles northeast of Portland, Oregon.

After the tremor, seismic activity dropped, but has risen to a level similar to that before the tremor occurred, the U.S. Geological Survey said.

The USGS detected "harmonic tremors" -- continuous, rhythmic quakes that indicate molten rock is rising to the surface and often precede eruptions -- at noon Saturday, about two hours before they raised the alert level. With the alert level up, the U.S. Forest Service and the USGS evacuated Johnson Ridge Observatory, the observation point nearest the volcano.

Because it would add a small amount of entertainment to my life. Besides the only danger it would present is to the incredibly stupid people who didn’t evacuate and I would assume all those people were killed in the first eruption/explosion. Although there may be a small risk to the animals currently inhabiting the surrounding land.

But, yeah, no reason in particular.

gallery.garage.usgs.jpg

Yeah, I`de like to know also! Why do you wish this?

Colonisation and succession in habitats devastated by a volcano is very interesting and useful if you happen to be an ecologist, so at least someone can get something out of it.