What lurks in YOUR water?

Ok, I may seem a little paranoid in this situation, but last year i flat out stopped drinking the water from the drinking fountains at our school.

Not only did the taste almost kill me, but I had a hunch that it was somewhat contaminated.

Me being the good little microbiologist took a few samples this year, and with a rather nice microscope, took some good pictures.

I used a DNA stain called acradine orange.

Red=single stranded DNA

Yellow= mix of single and double stranded DNA

Orange= Highly metabolic, and single stranded.

Check them out-

Im sry I cant upload them all at once, I need to do it in several posts, due to their size.

This one is my personal favorite...

Keep in mind that this is only at 800x zoom (rather low)

http://forum.newscienceonline.com/images/water01.jpg

I wish I had a microscope for micro-organism study. :( I find it very interesting, though you might want to do it after dinner, not before. :>

"looks like a goats testicle to me"

You have been doing a lot of things with goat testicles perhaps to recognize them so well? :)

my guess is that they are nothing more than particles of dirt, crud, and other inanimate objects. the round one in the first picture might be algae or some other single celled micro organism. but i am no expert so dont take my word for it.

i never drink tap water, it just grosses me out. plus some places are using recycled sewage in their tap water. not to mention all the chemicals they add to disinfect it. i read an article about prozac being found in tap water that was from recycled sewage. yuk.

where in the world were these samples taken?

I`de have to agree there, they don`t look like animate specimins at all, but like the above, I`m no expert either.

and not only prozak but also female Hormones from "the pill" are also present in most tap water :(