Physics - Optics: Light Experiment Help!

bloominn

Hi everyone!

I need help with a mini science project that we are working on.

So I have a shoebox that represents a dark attic, a light bulb (the sun), and a tube (toilet paper roll - to give light in the room).

Somehow, I have to figure out how to light up the room (shoebox) with the tube (which is inserted at the centre of the top of the shoebox), while a lightbulb (the sun) moves over the roof of the shoebox to see if light will light up the whole thing or not.

I can use reflecting surfaces, lenses and/or mirrors in the tube.

So I was just wondering, would all I have to do is glue a reflecting surface on the inside of the tube in order for light to enter the shoebox, even when the sun (lightbulb) moves?

Thanks!

I can use reflecting surfaces, lenses and/or mirrors in the tube.

So I was just wondering, would all I have to do is glue a reflecting surface on the inside of the tube in order for light to enter the shoebox, even when the sun (lightbulb) moves?

Thanks!

A reflecting surface inside the tube might help, because then the light will bounce down the tube for a large variation in the position of the bulb/sun. One of the things you listed will spread light out as it leaves the tube, and/or concentrate and redirect it as it enters. You might consider that as well.

Try a few different things, and think about what works and what doesn't. You probably shouldn't think of this as design and then build and be done. You'll probably have to do several iterations.

I would consider thinking about this in three parts.

Collection, can you do anything about making as much light from as many angles as possible get into the tube.

Waveguide, can you ensure as much light as possible travels through the tube and out the other end.

Emission, can you make the light spread out to fill as much of the room as possible.

Which if any of these do you think your reflection idea would help?

A reflecting surface inside the tube might help, because then the light will bounce down the tube for a large variation in the position of the bulb/sun. One of the things you listed will spread light out as it leaves the tube, and/or concentrate and redirect it as it enters. You might consider that as well.

Try a few different things, and think about what works and what doesn't. You probably shouldn't think of this as design and then build and be done. You'll probably have to do several iterations.

Thank you !

I would consider thinking about this in three parts.

Collection, can you do anything about making as much light from as many angles as possible get into the tube.

Waveguide, can you ensure as much light as possible travels through the tube and out the other end.

Emission, can you make the light spread out to fill as much of the room as possible.

Which if any of these do you think your reflection idea would help?

Thanks for breaking it down for me!