Cryobiology (again)

RachaelShort

I want to freeze a goldfish and bring it back to life (yes people, it IS possible) but now i need something that can be my aim (aka what i'm testing) so far i have one idea but i don't think it's very good, testing the theory that fish can survive in glaciers and completely frozen ponds. However, since liquid nitrogen does not mimic a glacier for time it takes to freeze the fish or the length of time the fish is frozen for and there aren't many goldfish swimming around Antarctica I don't think it is a good aim. I sort of have my heart set on liquid nitrogen so an aim that could incorporate that and be capable of winning a state science fair (year 9 & 10) would be so awesome. Thanks guys smile.gifsmile.gif

Well you can use liquid nitrogen to achieve all sorts of temperatures. How about exploring the cryotolerance of goldfish?

You could use a range of different temperatures and freeze the fish at each temp for a range of different times. Then you can see if there is a max time it can be frozen for, a minimum temp it can be frozen to, and see if there's a relationship between freezing temp and freezing time.

You could identify the ideal temp for long term freezing too.

How long do you have to do the project?

Can help with the aim if you like the idea...

Also you could explore those parameters for different species of fish - you could choose one from a climate which might experience freezing and another from a climate which doesn't experience freezing, then compare their survival from cryopreservation.

You could also see if freezing affects their survival or behavior afterwards

Most animal survival strategies in cold temperatures involve increasing the blood sugar levels, usually by glucogon activation, in order to prevent blood from freezing. The 'Viking Hypothesis' explains the persistence in humans of the genes for such a disadvantageous disposition as the tendency to become diabetic by holding that the ability of diabetics to produce higher blood glucose levels during extremely cold temperatures of the last Ice Age was a survival advantage, since it prevented freezing. Even now, type 1 diabetics experience increased insulin requirements during cold weather, with diet and exercise held constant.

• 4 weeks later...

I know that there is a bug in the artic regions of Scandinavia that will go into a "dormant" state during the winter and will literally get frozan in a block of ice. Then during the spring, when the ice melts, the bug will spring back to life. I cannot fo rthe life of me remember what the bug is called, but it could be a good place to start.

• 1 year later...

I do high pressure freezing research and might be able to help you if you want to choose Cryobiology for a career.

I want to freeze a goldfish and bring it back to life (yes people, it IS possible) but now i need something that can be my aim (aka what i'm testing) so far i have one idea but i don't think it's very good, testing the theory that fish can survive in glaciers and completely frozen ponds. However, since liquid nitrogen does not mimic a glacier for time it takes to freeze the fish or the length of time the fish is frozen for and there aren't many goldfish swimming around Antarctica I don't think it is a good aim. I sort of have my heart set on liquid nitrogen so an aim that could incorporate that and be capable of winning a state science fair (year 9 & 10) would be so awesome. Thanks guys smile.gifsmile.gif