Dark Matter Issue

The outer parts of galaxies are moving at speeds beyond those fitting mathematical models. This increased speed is supposed to be caused by Dark Matter and its gravitational effect. If DM only has this effect at the outer reaches where the gravitational pull is at its weakest then it would seem that DM is the reciprocal of gravity. However, modeling has shown that DM clumps. This would allow for assumptions that it operates like a booster station on a Hot Wheels track. There is a problem with this model as well. The clumps of DM have been shown to deflect light due to its gravity. If there were clumps of DM at the edges of galaxies the outer clusters of stars would be captured by it and there would likely be a really messy collision with a new Black Hole being formed.

It seems to me that science should stop delving into that Ol' Black Magic. I propose that we employ a group of scientists as Historical Physicists. Something has obviously been missed in our attempts to understand the Universe. We should study and thoroughly test all of the tried and trusted "knowledge" we have collected.

p.s. If Dark Energy is pushing the galaxies away from each other, why isn't DE pushing stars away from each other within their own galaxies.

Edited by ImUncommitted

If Dark Energy is pushing the galaxies away from each other, why isn't DE pushing stars away from each other within their own galaxies.

It is trying, but due to the relative closeness of the stars in a galaxy, they are being held together by the even greater force of gravity.

Edited by zapatos

The outer parts of galaxies are moving at speeds beyond those fitting mathematical models. This increased speed is supposed to be caused by Dark Matter and its gravitational effect. If DM only has this effect at the outer reaches where the gravitational pull is at its weakest then it would seem that DM is the reciprocal of gravity.

DM doe not just effect the "outer reaches". It also effects stars closer in. The region where that effect of DM is lessened is close in towards the central bulge of the Galaxy where the high density of visble matter cause the gravitational effect of said matter to predominate. Also it is not just that the outer part move fast, but that the rotation curve is flat (Instead of stars orbiting at lower and lower speeds as you move outward from the core of the galaxy, they orbit at the same speed.

However, modeling has shown that DM clumps. This would allow for assumptions that it operates like a booster station on a Hot Wheels track. There is a problem with this model as well. The clumps of DM have been shown to deflect light due to its gravity. If there were clumps of DM at the edges of galaxies the outer clusters of stars would be captured by it and there would likely be a really messy collision with a new Black Hole being formed.

Yes, DM clumps to a certain degree, it is just that it doesn't clump to the same degree or manner which baryonic matter does. This is because it only reacts gravitationally and not electromagnetically. If you take this property into account you would expect DM to form large clouds of an almost uniform density surrounding and permeating galaxies. If you then extrapolate how the mass of such a cloud would effect the rotation curves of the visible matter(stars and such) of the galaxy, you end up with a prediction that tallies up with what we observe.

It seems to me that science should stop delving into that Ol' Black Magic. I propose that we employ a group of scientists as Historical Physicists. Something has obviously been missed in our attempts to understand the Universe. We should study and thoroughly test all of the tried and trusted "knowledge" we have collected.

It seem to me that you need to spend more time studying what the DM model actually predicts and how it stacks up against observation rather than jumping to conclusions based on your own faulty knowledge of the subject.

DM doe not just effect the "outer reaches". It also effects stars closer in. The region where that effect of DM is lessened is close in towards the central bulge of the Galaxy where the high density of visble matter cause the gravitational effect of said matter to predominate. Also it is not just that the outer part move fast, but that the rotation curve is flat (Instead of stars orbiting at lower and lower speeds as you move outward from the core of the galaxy, they orbit at the same speed.

Yes, DM clumps to a certain degree, it is just that it doesn't clump to the same degree or manner which baryonic matter does. This is because it only reacts gravitationally and not electromagnetically. If you take this property into account you would expect DM to form large clouds of an almost uniform density surrounding and permeating galaxies. If you then extrapolate how the mass of such a cloud would effect the rotation curves of the visible matter(stars and such) of the galaxy, you end up with a prediction that tallies up with what we observe.

It seem to me that you need to spend more time studying what the DM model actually predicts and how it stacks up against observation rather than jumping to conclusions based on your own faulty knowledge of the subject.

I am asking questions because I am not an expert. I posted this so that I could learn from awesome, knowledgeable persons like yourself in a respectful manner.

I find these responses quite WIMPy...

Here's a question-- Why is there soo much dark matter in energy in the universe compared to regular matter? Something like 95% of the total matter-energy in the universe in Dark matter and energy! This is ... strange, considering we experience the small 1% of regular condensed matter in our everyday lives. Would having an extremely large dark matter-energy to regular matter ratio be a good factor in the creation of life?

Edited by Zarnaxus