Reading Slides

micro101

Hi,

Is there anyone who works in Microbiology and can check slides? I have itching on my body and took scrapings to see if I can find an answer, but don't see anything suspicious on the slides. I have pics of the slides and can email. Maybe there are independent labs I can send the slides to be read. I been to numerous docs over the years and still no help. Please respond to my post if you can.

OK so you'll need to provide a bit more detail to get any useful help. It's also unlikely that just looking at plain slides of skin scrapings will show any microorganisms causing skin disease, you normally need to use differential stains to be able to see different types of microorganism clearly on a slide. I do work in microbiology, but I doubt I could identify anything from just a skin scraping.

When you say you have been to numerous docs over the years, does that mean you've had the itching for years and have never found relief? And what did the doctors say?

It could just as easily be an allergen you're reacting to, or exczema, or something neuropathic, it's not necessarily caused by a microbe.

• 3 weeks later...

Baryon,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been to Dermatologist (several) over the years. Mayo Clinic Dermatlogy diagnosed Candida Glabrata, however the meds they prescribed did not end the itching. The doctor at Mayo Clinic suggested that the diagnosis may be wrong and that meds should have worked for that condition (Diflucan taken for several days at highest mg). I continue to itch all over my body. I had allergy test done of which I don't have any allergies according to the doc.

I break out on my face and other parts...looks like acne (never in my life had acne). The itching feels prickly (face, scalp, legs, feet, etc). The docs at Mayo told me to use Hibiclens which I am still using. Also using Sebamed found at Costco which has been helping- clearing my pores (I am not breaking out as much). However the itching is still there (been using Sebamed about three weeks now). I have been tested for a lot of things and all was negative.

Feels like something is moving on my skin especially at night. After exercise/sweat the itching is bad. My skin always feels sticky even a few hours after shower. I believe this to be some kind of fungus. I am tired of going to docs and they have not been able to help me.

I have researched Sabaroud Agar for fungul identification. But need some help with this. Thanks.

I strongly agree with SMF - if there are qualified dermatologists giving you advice you should follow it.

I would only add that it might help to get all your bed linen and clothes sterilised or thoroughly washed, and give your house a thorough clean, so that if you are diminishing the problem on your skin you aren't then immediately getting reinfected from your environment.

SMF,

I moved into a new apartment yrs ago. Bought new carpets, furniture, bed/mattress etc. So I ruled that out. I always keep fresh linens on my bed once a week. I use hot wash for linens, towels, clothes.

I get toenail infections a lot as well. I don't believe Candida Glabrata will cause toenail infections. I was hoping that someone help me test for other fungus. I am really interested in Sabaroud Agar. I did Micro but we did not cover Mycology or fungal tests/identification in that class.

I spent plenty of $$ already at the docs offices. I am not giving up of finding out what this is even if I have to get more edu on this matter.

You have to pay to go to the doctors? I sometimes forget how lucky we are here in the UK.

Are there any visible signs of irritation (not caused by scratching)? Like swellings, lumps, a rash or anything? If so you should take photographs of them. How long have the symptoms been occurring?

You could try keeping a daily log, noting what you eat each day, your activities that day (where you went, broad outline of the things you did) and who you met. Also keep a log of when you experience or notice your skin irritation. That will make it easier to possibly identify anything which correlates with the symptoms.

You could also try posting on the medical forums on the net, there are quite a few.

I believe Sabaroud is largely superceded by Dermatophyte test medium. If you can find somewhere to buy a small quantity, you could make it at home with glassware sterilised in a pressure cooker, then mix the powder with deionised water and microwave or pressure cook it to sterilise again. You can buy Petri dishes online and probably some glassware and the medium too. You can make a small makeshift laminar flow hood with your vacuum cleaner and a cardboard box lined with plastic, you just need to make it so a curtain of air is drawn upward across and into the front of the box by the vacuum, and you could pour your plates in there. Then when they set, use sterilised cotton swabs to take samples of the rash and innoculate the plates. Once the plates are innoculated you should seal them with cling film and store them inverted in the airing cupboard or another warm place. Make sure you don't open the plates once they've been innoculated - if anything grows on that medium it may cause skin disease, so the last thing you want to do is expose yourself to it again. Then take close up photographs of what grows and report back, and perhaps we can identify it.

Regarding your description of the symptoms:

"Feels like something is moving on my skin especially at night. After exercise/sweat the itching is bad. My skin always feels sticky even a few hours after shower. I believe this to be some kind of fungus. I am tired of going to docs and they have not been able to help me"

Well, it's not unusual for skin to be sticky even a short time after a shower - I sweat quite easily and I am often sweaty within a short time of washing. My skin also itches intensely during exercise, but that's the prickly sensation of sweat glands producing sweat, not an infection. Similarly when your sweat dries it leaves crystallised salts on your skin which are mildly irritating and drying. I'm not saying there is definitely not a microorganism or something causing your symptoms, but they may also be within the normal range of healthy experience but accentuated because you think about it a lot. Something to consider.

Your in UK! My family member lives in UK.

Spent thousands $$ over the years going to Dermatologist EVEN though I had health insurance while I was working for companies in US. Now I am self employed part time and cannot afford Health insurance premiums, especially now that Insurance companies have raised their premiums considerably.

My symptoms have been occuring years now. (toenail infections..different toenails got infected, recurring ear infection left ear only, small rashes on legs).

Family members came to stay with me for some time and they were UNAWARE of my condition. I never spoke to them about it. Soon enough they were itching with rashes on one of their leg, toenail infections, some claims their skin also was itching. We NEVER shared towels or beds JUST one bathroom . So I know for sure they picked this up from the bathroom.

While I was in Microbiology class, I told my Professor about the itching and he gave me the nutrient agar to do swabs and bring back to him. He said looked like fungi (growth on the nutrient agar). He said we would have to do stains...never had the chance b/c he was so busy. That's why I am trying to get to bottom of this.

I am aware of the salt residue after sweating on the skin. We covered that in one of my class. But my skin never felt sticky or itchy prior to getting this infection.

I can purchase the Sabaroud Agar online ...found website in US that sells it and can take pics and upload. Will keep in touch. Again thanks a million for responding.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Sabouraud agar and there's not much special about it. Fungi will grow on most conventional media but there are a few bacteria that grow more slowly on Sab. so it's a little more useful for fungal culture. Diagnosis of C. glabrata was likely based on culture using that or a similar medium, and it's hard to believe they'd not have ruled out all the usual suspects for your condition. I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have cultured for Malassezia spp. but even if one of these were found in abundance their potential as causes wouldn't be clear. Even if you have some fungal proliferation, it may be secondary to abnormal condition of your skin itself. Have you had your immune functions assessed? Not wishing to insult but is it possibly an emotional condition as Blahah suggested?

• 3 months later...

You have to pay to go to the doctors? I sometimes forget how lucky we are here in the UK.

Are there any visible signs of irritation (not caused by scratching)? Like swellings, lumps, a rash or anything? If so you should take photographs of them. How long have the symptoms been occurring?

You could try keeping a daily log, noting what you eat each day, your activities that day (where you went, broad outline of the things you did) and who you met. Also keep a log of when you experience or notice your skin irritation. That will make it easier to possibly identify anything which correlates with the symptoms.

You could also try posting on the medical forums on the net, there are quite a few.

I believe Sabaroud is largely superceded by Dermatophyte test medium. If you can find somewhere to buy a small quantity, you could make it at home with glassware sterilised in a pressure cooker, then mix the powder with deionised water and microwave or pressure cook it to sterilise again. You can buy Petri dishes online and probably some glassware and the medium too. You can make a small makeshift laminar flow hood with your vacuum cleaner and a cardboard box lined with plastic, you just need to make it so a curtain of air is drawn upward across and into the front of the box by the vacuum, and you could pour your plates in there. Then when they set, use sterilised cotton swabs to take samples of the rash and innoculate the plates. Once the plates are innoculated you should seal them with cling film and store them inverted in the airing cupboard or another warm place. Make sure you don't open the plates once they've been innoculated - if anything grows on that medium it may cause skin disease, so the last thing you want to do is expose yourself to it again. Then take close up photographs of what grows and report back, and perhaps we can identify it.

"Feels like something is moving on my skin especially at night. After exercise/sweat the itching is bad. My skin always feels sticky even a few hours after shower. I believe this to be some kind of fungus. I am tired of going to docs and they have not been able to help me"

Well, it's not unusual for skin to be sticky even a short time after a shower - I sweat quite easily and I am often sweaty within a short time of washing. My skin also itches intensely during exercise, but that's the prickly sensation of sweat glands producing sweat, not an infection. Similarly when your sweat dries it leaves crystallised salts on your skin which are mildly irritating and drying. I'm not saying there is definitely not a microorganism or something causing your symptoms, but they may also be within the normal range of healthy experience but accentuated because you think about it a lot. Something to consider.

Hi,

I know it's been a while since we chatted. I hope your are doing great!

I hope you can help me.

I wanted to know where I can post the pics of slides so that maybe a professional who works in a lab looking at slides can help me. I see something that looks suspicious on the slides but not sure if I am right. I have made slides with taking a clear tape and pressing to my skin where I feel the crawling/moving sensation and then placing the tape on slide.

Also you had mentioned there are other website/forums I can go to. Can you give me such names to go to.

Thanks

Micro101

It's Sabouraud agar and there's not much special about it. Fungi will grow on most conventional media but there are a few bacteria that grow more slowly on Sab. so it's a little more useful for fungal culture. Diagnosis of C. glabrata was likely based on culture using that or a similar medium, and it's hard to believe they'd not have ruled out all the usual suspects for your condition. I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have cultured for Malassezia spp. but even if one of these were found in abundance their potential as causes wouldn't be clear. Even if you have some fungal proliferation, it may be secondary to abnormal condition of your skin itself. Have you had your immune functions assessed? Not wishing to insult but is it possibly an emotional condition as Blahah suggested?

Hi,

I know it's been a while since we chatted. I hope your are doing great!

I hope you can help me.

I wanted to know where I can post the pics of slides so that maybe a professional who works in a lab looking at slides can help me. I see something that looks suspicious on the slides but not sure if I am right. I have made slides with taking a clear tape and pressing to my skin where I feel the crawling/moving sensation and then placing the tape on slide.

Also you had mentioned there are other website/forums I can go to. Can you give me such names to go to.

Thanks

Micro101 (please Help) I can assure you this is not an emotional issue.

What is your diet like? Poor diets are notorious for making skin conditions considerably worse than they need to be. Just a long shot.

I am on a very good diet. I am on a 1200 to 1500 calorie diet. My diet consists of oats/berries/almond milk/honey for breakfast (seriosly everyday for the past couple of years). Smoothie/Berries OR a Orange and Egg Drink for Lunch. Brown Rice/Beans -- usually any of the following: Black Beans, Lentils, Red Beans with Organic or free Range Fed Chicken OR Lamb OR Salmon baked. Mostly Salads. I DO NOT EAT OUT AT RESTAUARANTS EXCEPT FOR ONE DAY A WEEK AND ITS MOSTLY SELECT A DISH THAT IS NUTRITIONAL. Plus I exercise 4 or 5 times a week for 1 hour in Gym. I do NOT eat Fast Food, canned foods or Boxed, Frozen Foods.

MY BLOOD WORK IS NORMAL.

I will post some slides on this forum and see if I can get some answers.

• 2 months later...

Attached ares some slides i did. can anyone help me with these slides identification?

I am on a very good diet. I am on a 1200 to 1500 calorie diet. My diet consists of oats/berries/almond milk/honey for breakfast (seriosly everyday for the past couple of years). Smoothie/Berries OR a Orange and Egg Drink for Lunch. Brown Rice/Beans -- usually any of the following: Black Beans, Lentils, Red Beans with Organic or free Range Fed Chicken OR Lamb OR Salmon baked. Mostly Salads. I DO NOT EAT OUT AT RESTAUARANTS EXCEPT FOR ONE DAY A WEEK AND ITS MOSTLY SELECT A DISH THAT IS NUTRITIONAL. Plus I exercise 4 or 5 times a week for 1 hour in Gym. I do NOT eat Fast Food, canned foods or Boxed, Frozen Foods.

MY BLOOD WORK IS NORMAL.

I will post some slides on this forum and see if I can get some answers.

Hi, I know its been a while. But can you look at these slides and tell me what you see. Thanks.

Can you help me? I posted some slides about eight of them.

Thanks.

candida overgrowth? your diet sounds good though... however i think once an overgrowth develops, a diet wont fix it. if there's a candida overgrowth in your intestines, and in your skin, it could be affecting your whole body... try seeing if acidophilus tablets in your diet will help. sugar is hidden in a lot of things which feeds candida.

maybe try tea tree oil topically? you can dilute it and apply it to your skin. it supposedly is anti fungal and anti bacterial....

if you think it's parasitic, get some over the counter permethrin cream...

it could also be viral, though.

regardless, until you find out what it is, make sure you drink a lot of water, as it helps flush things out of your body and keep it from being stagnant.

make sure your environment is clean, wear a lot of cotton so your skin can breath, and shower frequently... exfoliate.... use a cleanser with salicylic acid and maybe a benzoyl peroxide cream to see if it helps....

Edited by Appolinaria

Thanks for replying. BTW: I tried tea tree oil and permethrin cream (did not take away the itching/prickly feeling). Can you see the slides I posted?

candida overgrowth? your diet sounds good though.

maybe try tea tree oil? it supposedly is anti fungal and anti bacterial....

it could also be viral

Thanks for replying. BTW: I tried tea tree oil and permethrin cream (did not take away the itching/prickly feeling). Can you see the slides I posted?

candida overgrowth? your diet sounds good though... however i think once an overgrowth develops, a diet wont fix it. if there's a candida overgrowth in your intestines, and in your skin, it could be affecting your whole body... try seeing if acidophilus tablets in your diet will help. sugar is hidden in a lot of things which feeds candida.

maybe try tea tree oil topically? you can dilute it and apply it to your skin. it supposedly is anti fungal and anti bacterial....

it could also be viral, though.

Skin problems are terrible. :( but don't worry, you will get it fixed. the fact that your blood work is normal is good. did any of those things slightly help more than the others? did any of them have an affect, even if it was extremely minute?

yes, I see the slide, but I am not a doctor so it won't help me help you. sorry :(

Edited by Appolinaria

OMG, this is so fustrating. I just posted 8 slides on this thread. Do you have to go to my profile to see them? I am not so familiar with the use of this site. I also started another post labeled Itching on skin. I posted a slide there.

Skin problems are terrible. :( but don't worry, you will get it fixed. the fact that your blood work is normal is good. did any of those things slightly help more than the others? did any of them have an affect, even if it was extremely minute?

yes, I see the slide, but I am not a doctor so it won't help me help you. sorry :(

No, it did not help with my itching. If someone can just help me out there. I would appreicated this.

OMG, this is so fustrating. I just posted 8 slides on this thread. Do you have to go to my profile to see them? I am not so familiar with the use of this site. I also started another post labeled Itching on skin. I posted a slide there.

Sorry, didn't mean to frustrate you.

When you make a new thread, it is not attached to this one. It's completely separate. The only way I found it was by going through the "Today's Posts" section at the top of this page. It's right at the top next to the little orange square.

a1g0i.png

I would recommend putting a picture of the slide in this thread, so people can directly see it. You can do that by clicking "edit" underneath your original post at the top, and pasting the link to the slide like you did in the other thread.

Hopefully I'm not just confusing you more.

Anyway, good luck. Hope you figure out what it is :)

Appolinaria,

Thanks for support. Your encouraging words made me feel better. Two people responded to my other thread about the slide I posted. So looks like I may have to post some more slides with better magnification and more info.

No, it did not help with my itching. If someone can just help me out there. I would appreicated this.

try looking up demodex brevis, not sure if im right but i think they feed off of sebaceous glands and are itchy... especially at night. they usually occur on the face/eyebrows but can occur anywhere.

once again im not educated in the medical field but i know youre desperate, so probably any suggestion is useful

I came across demodex long time ago in my research. I ordered something to rub on my skin for this condition, but did not alleviate or help. Thanks for your insight.

try looking up demodex brevis, not sure if im right but i think they feed off of sebaceous glands and are itchy... especially at night. they usually occur on the face/eyebrows but can occur anywhere.

once again im not educated in the medical field but i know youre desperate, so probably any suggestion is useful

my mom had lyme's for so long, bells palsy, the whole thing... she had to send her blood to a lab in california (across the country) and then she finally tested positive...

she struggled with a ton of health problems, and some doctors just thought she was crazy. only now do I know the extent of how sick she was.

so don't give up. it could be something harder to identify.

maybe there's a lab that will send you some kind of kit to do a scraping, and then they will look at it...

remember that whatever's causing this might not show up on the tape.