Flowation Theory!

infiitesoliduk

Here goes...

If your in outerspace, you float in a space ship, never does your body get pulled to earth which would make your body stick to the side of the spaceship.. so in outerspace there is no PULLING gravity, but there is orbitation going on. This flow I would like to call it Flowation, it could be a part of gravity or may be not?

THis theory I once called it Fixation Theory", but really its a flow not a fix.

Oh yea, my name is Paul Griffiths, Bristol. UK, for those that want to nominate me for me nobel.

Edited by infiitesoliduk

Here goes...

If your in outerspace, you float in a space ship, never does your body get pulled to earth which would make your body stick to the side of the spaceship.. so in outerspace there is no PULLING gravity, but there is orbitation going on. This flow I would like to call it Flowation, it could be a part of gravity or may be not?

THis theory I once called it Fixation Theory", but really its a flow not a fix.

You do get pulled toward Earth in orbit. In fact, that's HOW you get an orbit; you're continuously falling toward Earth, but your horizontal velocity is such that you're always missing. You don't stick to the side of the ship because falling objects fall at the same rate in the same gravitational field without air resistance.

You do get pulled toward Earth in orbit. In fact, that's HOW you get an orbit; you're continuously falling toward Earth, but your horizontal velocity is such that you're always missing. You don't stick to the side of the ship because falling objects fall at the same rate in the same gravitational field without air resistance.

Now, your not connected to the space ship in any way, your floating. So the pull of the earth would "Eventually" slow you down and to the side of the spaceship you would go.

I know your going to say "2 oposing forces keeps you in orbit" but one force is constant(gravity) the other is you, you would slow down due to gravity.

Now, your not connected to the space ship in any way, your floating. So the pull of the earth would "Eventually" slow you down and to the side of the spaceship you would go.

No. The ship is falling at the same rate as you are.

Yep. Same with orbits.

The question is "Why don't things slow down?"

Gravity is a force that is constantly being applied to you, not falling requires energy which will be lost due to the pull of gravity.

If you fly 100 Miles from earth and stationary your spaceship, what happens to you in the spaceship and the spaceship itself?

Gravity is a force that is constantly being applied to you, not falling requires energy which will be lost due to the pull of gravity.

If you fly 100 Miles from earth and stationary your spaceship, what happens to you in the spaceship and the spaceship itself?

If you're in orbit, you're moving sideways, around the Earth. Gravity is pulling straight down, perpendicular to your velocity. Hence its force does not slow you down.

Consider a weight on the end of a string. You can hold the string over your head and get the weight spinning, so that it sweeps out horizontal circles in the air over your head. The string is pulling on the weight constantly, but the weight maintains its speed.

An orbit...

You are falling towards the earth, but you're also travelling sideways REALLY quickly, so quickly infact that by the time you've fallen 1m towards earth you've moved sideways by 1m, so that no matter how far you fall you will always miss the earth...

If you're in orbit, you're moving sideways, around the Earth. Gravity is pulling straight down, perpendicular to your velocity. Hence its force does not slow you down.

Consider a weight on the end of a string. You can hold the string over your head and get the weight spinning, so that it sweeps out horizontal circles in the air over your head. The string is pulling on the weight constantly, but the weight maintains its speed.

Very true, but it required energy to spin the ball, and once you stop spinning then what?

Question: When you don't understand how orbits can work, why do you insist on making your own theory, rather than learning what hundreds of other physicists have concluded before you?

As I said, when you're in orbit, gravity is not slowing down. You can continue orbiting as long as you'd like.

As I said, when you're in orbit, gravity is not slowing down. You can continue orbiting as long as you'd like.

Ok, so how does the moon go around the earth while the earth goes around the sun? this perpendicular lark wont make sense, oops the earth just moved around the sun, the moon is now no longer perpendicular to the earth.

They both apply forces perpendicular to the direction of travel. Why should they behave differently?

the string does not pull, to act like gravity it would need to be elastic to pull it in.

Sorry but I think newton is well out.Fair play for the apple gravity thing though.

Edited by infiitesoliduk

Ok, so how does the moon go around the earth while the earth goes around the sun?

Gravity.

the string does not pull, to act like gravity it would need to be elastic to pull it in.

Yes it does; do the vector analysis yourself if you don't believe it.

Ok, so how does the moon go around the earth while the earth goes around the sun? this perpendicular lark wont make sense, oops the earth just moved around the sun, the moon is now no longer perpendicular to the earth.

Er, yes it is. I'm not talking about its position, I'm talking about its motion. Suppose I look up at something orbiting the Earth. If it's orbiting, it's not moving up or down towards or away from me; it's moving sideways, from one side of the sky to the other. Gravity, on the other hand, is pulling straight down on it. That's perpendicular.

Then why is the string taut? If you spin the weight really fast you can feel the string pulling on your hand.

Not that it's perpendicular to the Earth. That it's moving perpendicularly to the displacement from the Earth to the moon. And the moon does speed up and slow down relative to the sun. However, in most orbits, you try to use a frame in which the object around which you are orbiting is not moving - in which case, force is perpendicular to velocity.

The string is accelerating (note: physics word - doesn't necessarily require the speed of the object to be increasing) the ball. That means that it is applying a force to the ball - in other words, "pulling" on the ball.

Do you have a mathematical description of your theory? This theory is more than well-thought-out.

=Uncool-

Do you have a mathematical description of your theory? This theory is more than well-thought-out.

=Uncool-

No.

Then why is the string taut? If you spin the weight really fast you can feel the string pulling on your hand.

it is taut but its not pulling like gravity, it's just stopping it from flying off, that's the difference.

it is taut but its not pulling like gravity, it's just stopping it from flying off, that's the difference.

Well, there's your problem. They're mathematically equivalent. To stop it from flying off, it has to apply a force -- it's pulling on the weight to keep it moving in a circle. That's exactly what gravity does.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.