Need help in thesis proposal

samanthaunos

Good day,

I would just like to ask for suggestions in my thesis topic: Cytochrome p450 2e1 mutation in female smokers and nonsmokers ages 18-65 years old

All i know about this topic is that:

"Cytochrome P450 E1 or CPY2E1 is one of the enzymes that are critically important; they are involved in oxidizing carcinogens which are found in tobacco and is probably associated with nasopharyngeal carcinoma or cancer originating in the nasopharynx."

Since I'm not really familiar with the basics of genetics. I would just like to ask your thoughts/ suggestions on what are the possible thesis statements and methodology (and if possible, the easy ones to do related with cyp2e1) for this study.

My thesis adviser already gave me a hint of what to do like focusing on the frequency, severity and manifestation of nasopharyngeal carcinoma and other issues they have with smoking. But I have no idea how to formulate the thesis statement and methodology for it. Please help :(

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is a quick answer. I'm not entirely sure of the project background but based on my genetics studies I can provide the following suggestions:

1. choose the model of study- mouse, human (this is too tricky since you cannot do experiments on humans obviously :P), rat, .... ( i don't think drosophilia is a good model for cytochrome studies bcs it's too small and its physiology might be different (i might be wrong))

2. show that cytochrome is actually related to oxidation of carcinogens in the model (unless it's been shown before, but it's always good to show it again)

3. test the mutation 2e1. by restoring wild-type, are you able to see any difference?

4. purify the protein and show what kind of mechanism is involved in oxidation

5. try to show that this protein can also be involved in oxidation in other organisms (perhaps rat, hamster)

6. what role does the protein play in cytochrome aside from oxidation?

7. try to identify potential binding partners for the protein of study and see if these proteins are also involved in oxidation.

These are just some tips. Of course, it's hard to get started but once you get it rolling...it'll be easier to find questions, not necessarily answers though