How to become a physics/math/engineering professor?

HamsterPower

Hi, i am not quite sure if this is the right place to ask :) But anywayssss

I am confused with what kinds of degree i need in order to become a professor to teach in universities or possibly research in universities

I agree, that i know nothing about the process so it would be real kind if someone can answer me

ahaha

I heard it is very competitive indeed, But i always wanted to go to the science field and one day, receive the noble prize for physics

(omg, i am getting excited)

thank you in advance :))))))

I'm not sure what stage of life you're at, but since you are asking what degree you need to be a science professor, I would assume you are at or near the beginning of your university studies. If so, it would be best to keep in mind at this point that your lifeplan will evolve in response to the countless unanticipated events which emerge as you gradually develop your initial plan, so you can't know now exactly what you will eventually turn out to want to do with your life. It is best just to have a general orientation, such as a resolve to deepen your knowledge of some scientific field, and then see how things turn out.

I'm not sure if this is the norm or just something at my school, but all of my professors, the ones in the Engineering department at least, had experience working in the field before they started teaching. The most "inexperienced" was Dr. Goble, and even she had worked for an engineering firm for about six years. So that might be something you would also need to look at to be competitive in academia. Maybe.

Edited by A Tripolation

I'm not sure if this is the norm or just something at my school, but all of my professors, the ones in the Engineering department at least, had experience working in the field before they started teaching. The most "inexperienced" was Dr. Goble, and even she had worked for an engineering firm for about six years. So that might be something you would also need to look at to be competitive in academia. Maybe.

omg i was going to put +1 on your reputation but i clicked -1 by mistake, how do i undo this !!!