Blood Problem

HerpetologyFangirl

Hello. I'm not sure this website is the most appropriate place for this post, but I couldn't find anywhere else. If this thread is deleted, I'll understand. But getting to the point... For years now, since I was about 9 years old, I've been getting these 'episodes'. I described the symptoms to a lady at the blood bank once, and she knew exactly what I was talking about, she even said that she had the same problem, and she told me what it was called, but that was months ago, and I've forgotten it. I got very upset today because I was talking about it with my sister after I had a mild episode in front of her, and she told me that when I have my episodes it looks like I'm just acting, over-exagerating, or having panic or anxiety attacks, and I know that's not what it is. I was very offended that she thought those things, and that she even had the nerve to repeatedly insist that I was a hypochondriac, which I've never been accused of before. I told her about the lady at the blood bank, but she was laughing, and I don't think she believed me. That made me desperately want to find the name of my condition. I'll describe the symptoms, and if anybody can help me, I'd vastly appreciate it.

My episodes usually occur when I've been resting, napping, or sleeping for a long time, and I suddenly get up and start walking, or doing some activity. I'll start shaking uncontrollably, my whole body. It's frightening because it feels like I'm going to fall over. When that happens I try to lie down or lean heavily on a table or something. I feel light headed, I have trouble breathing because I start to hyperventilate slightly, and I stare straight ahead at thin air, but I can't really see anything. It doesn't affect my hearing, and it usually only lasts about 30 seconds. I've found that sometimes twisting around to the left and the right a few times lessens the severity, or shortens the episode, and helps prevent the shaking. Otherwise I just try to take deep breaths until it passes.

If you know anything about this, I'd appreciate any comments or information. Thank you.

Two comments.

1. "My episodes usually occur when I've been resting, napping, or sleeping for a long time, and I suddenly get up ..."

Don't do that then. Get up slowly.

2. I am not a doctor. You should go see someone who is a doctor.

I think that what you're talking about is the blood draining from your brain, due to a combination of low blood pressure and changing the height of your head. More pressure is needed to get blood to you head when you raise it, and your blood pressure will be extra low when resting, and the circulatory system to your head is set for lowering the pressure when laying down. I don't know if there is a specific name for that, but if low blood pressure is the main cause that can be treated and might have other benefits as well. (There are many places you can check your blood pressure for free.) As D H said, I highly recommend not provoking these symptoms.

(I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice).

More info:

http://www.newton.de...99/bio99304.htm

Low blood pressure upon standing is orthostatic hypotension, and I encounter that very frequently myself -- but there's no shaking or hyperventilation. I merely stand up, feel light-headed, and experience dimmed vision.

Otherwise, I agree with D H. At least get your blood pressure checked to see if it's chronically low.

The other symptoms could be a panic attack associated with the feeling of loss of control. From what I have heard it is not that unusual. Not necessarily in conjunction with orthostatic hypertension, but with all episodes that may result in the (temporary) loss of body control. Somewhat close to a mild shock IIRC.

Thanks for that link, Cap'n. I checked it out, and that certainly seems to fit my symptoms. I'll ask my doctor about it the next time I see him, as everyone has suggested. I always thought it had something to do with my blood pressure being low from being in a relaxed state, and then having insufficient time to adjust when I stood up. Also, as a teen I often had blood pressure lower than average. Thanks for the advice and suggestions you've offered, everyone. :)

I think CharonY's hit the nail on the head. I had the exact same thing (although it wasn't just as a result of getting up). It was syncope/orthostatic hypotension episodes due to the fact that I can't control my blood pressure so well (my normal blood pressure is fine, but sometimes it likes to decrease dramatically rather than increase..hah) followed by anxiety/panic.

Once I identified the panic aspect of it, and learned to control the panic, things got a LOT easier to cope with.