Gravity and the Mermaid - DAPost2

DevilsAdvocate

Welcome to post number 2.

A thought experiment.

Imagine you are a mermaid living in the middle of the ocean. You have never been to the top or the bottom. You live a happy life amongst the fishes. Who you eat occasionally. You breathe in air through your tail and you blow it out of your mouth. And life is going swimmingly. Then one day you see a couple of rainbow trout who are watching the migration of the seaweed together and suddenly you are overcome with a sense of melancholy. You go to your favourite warm spot in a cosy part of the middle of the ocean and swim there doggypaddling for a while, blowing out bubbles in front of you and watching the way they bubble about and scatter away into the distance.

For some reason it becomes very important to you to understand why bubbles do that. What is it about them that does make them behave like that? It seems whatever way you blow them they have a mind of their own. This puzzles it and you think on it so long your head starts to hurt. Then suddenly, it occurs to you. That's it! Eureka!

Oh little mermaid in the middle of the ocean, won't you share it with us? Yes? Thank you - Then, please, what is your mermaid theory of gravity?

Please allow yourself the pleasure of becoming the mermaid for a moment and channel your response into a reply for the greater good. biggrin.gif

The Devil's Advocate

As a mermaid, I would gravitate toward the notion that living in the ocean is awful, and that I'd very much like to live in a warm dry house, and have some children who have legs. A cell phone would be nice too, and maybe an Ipad.

I wrote a poem about my mermaid theory of gravity:

Oh, just look at those bubbles

as they rise by the kelp

mammals share none of my troubles

im sure evolution would help

I spend every day in the water

my skin is so pruny and creased

half man, half fish, what a bother

what god would create such a beast

Life is so boring alone in the sea

Living on land would be fun

At least I can eat all the fish that I wish

But it's always a meal for one.

Imagine you are a mermaid living in the middle of the ocean... - Then, please, what is your mermaid theory of gravity?

Mermaids don't have a theory of gravity, but they have a theory of quantum magic.

The wild arcane forces behaves randomly and their strange movements are more or less impossible to predict on small scales, however on larger scales, like the spherical surfaces of bubbles, the mysterious field holding the lifegiving breath are attractive to each other. When two bubbles get close enough they simply merge and create a larger bubble, so the theory of quantum magic predicts that in the direction smaller bubbles take off at there should be a huge bubble with strong arcane attraction. Some of the greater minds of the mermaids even speculate that this huge bubble could be so enormous that is totally surrounds and contains their whole world and maybe even other alien worlds inside it.

Edited by Spyman