Gen Chem 2 question

blike

Trimellitic acid contains, C, H, and O and is 51.44%, 2.88%, and 45.68%, respectively, in these elements. It can be obtained by oxidation of coal with nitric acid. A 2.416g sample of this compound was dissolved in 40.0 g of acetone, producing a solution that boils at 56.64'C. K(subscript b) [boiling point depression constant] for acetone is 1.71'C/molal. Pure acetone has a boiling point of 56.20'C.

From the percentage composition, determine the empirical formula. What is the empirical weight of the compound in grams per empirical unit.

---

How do I do this. I have a feeling that most of the info given is irrelivant. I don't have my book with me :P

Using the given data you should also be able to solve for the molecular formula if its different from the empiricle... since with the Kb formula you can find moles, which is grams/formula weight, and with formula weight its easy to combine with the given proportions to obtain it.