Questions about space, the universe and space-time

Incendia

Hey...I didn't know anywhere else to post this...

What if space really was moving...what if our movement meant we only saw the same side of space...

What if the entire universe was spinning...again what if we only see the same side of the universe like we only see the same side of the moon...

What if that spinning included space-time...[same thing here]

What if space really was moving...

What exactly is moving with respect to what?

What if the entire universe was spinning...again what if we only see the same side of the universe like we only see the same side of the moon...

What if that spinning included space-time...[same thing here]

So something like the Godel universe. This universe has been well studied and has some interesting, but probably non-physical properties like the existence of closed-timelike-curves (time machines!) and all the problems they course.

As we currently understand things the universe has no centre, therefore your question as currently phrased does not make a lot of sense. Movement has to be relative to something. The question is what do you propose it is moving relative to, given that it cannot be the centre?

What are you imagining are the characteristics of spinning space-time? How does it differ from non-spinning space time? In other words how would the spinning manifest itself?

Relative to whatever... just generally moving...

You mean a non-stationary space-time? That is there is no coordinates in which the spacial components of the metric tensor can be written in a form independent of the time coordinate.

I have no idea what you mean by moving space. If you can be more clear on what you mean we may be able to help you.

Of-coarse the universe has a centre...It's where the big bounce happened.

The big bang was (is) an expansion of everything everywhere. There is no specific (special) place in the universe that it happened.

Relative to whatever... just generally moving...

What?I don't understand what you are asking me...

Just answer my questions...

Whatever isn't good enough. If you were standing next to a boulder, you would say that the boulder was not moving... because it isn't... relative to you. But to someone on the moon, both you and the boulder are moving quite fast. To someone looking at you from the surface of the Sun, your moving even faster. To some alien looking at you from another galaxy, you are moving faster still. Motion is relative. You can only say something is moving relative to something else. To just say something is moving is meaningless until you define what it is moving relative to.

When you say the entire universe is moving, you are comparing everything that exists to ..... what? There's nothing left to compare it to.

What if space really was moving...what if our movement meant we only saw the same side of space...

Space is moving in the sense that is stretching / expanding... and our observable universe is only a small portion (possibly infinitely small) of the entire universe, so in that sense we do only see the same side of space... the theory is though, that space looks the same (in general) from anywhere in the universe.

Yes non-stationary space-time...Moving relative to the stuff in it. [The planets galaxies etc.]

For example the FRW cosmologies are described by non-stationary space-times. In fact, non-stationary is going to be the general situation.

So I suggest getting to grips with FRW as it does seem to describe our universe well, for the flat case.

I don't know what kind of general results on non-stationary space-times you have in mind. One thing we say is that there will be no (asymptotically) time-like Killing vector. You maybe better off looking as specific space-times.