liquid n2 insect extermination

dragonstar57

Incidentally, breathing pure nitrogen will remove oxygen from your lungs, which is worse than holding your breath, and in addition you won't feel out of breath because your body measures CO2 not oxygen.

I think that if anyone truly wants to try this method they should have some portable oxygen.

or just get out before they need to breathe (ie hold your breath the whole time)

and if you need air leave

Incidentally, breathing pure nitrogen will remove oxygen from your lungs, which is worse than holding your breath, and in addition you won't feel out of breath because your body measures CO2 not oxygen.

I think that if anyone truly wants to try this method they should have some portable oxygen.

A very good point.

Long ago and far away I heard the tale of someone who worked with refrigerated trucks.

These trucks were chilled by liquid nitrogen sprayed directly into the back where the goods were stored. The rules said you had to fully open both doors and wait 5 minutes before entering the back of the truck.

There was some debate about the risk of entering them without giving the N2 a chance to dissipate once the door was open. The assertion was made "You can see the fumes clear as soon as you open the door. This requirement to wait 5 minutes is just a waste of time."

Some brave (or foolhardy) individual elected to open the door, walk from the back door of the truck to the front, turn round and walk out again.

Those present insisted he had a safety line and harness so, if anything went wrong, they could pull him out.

He got half way from the door to the front before he passed out and was (thankfully) rescued by his colleagues using the line or you would have seen this story in the Darwin awards.

On this basis I offer two pieces of advice.

1) Buy some bug spray.

2) Don't piss about with oxygen deficient atmospheres; you will die.

Feel free to ignore the first.

Edited by John Cuthber

Long ago and far away I heard the tale of someone who worked with refrigerated trucks.

These trucks were chilled by liquid nitrogen sprayed directly into the back where the goods were stored. The rules said you had to fully open both doors and wait 5 minutes before entering the back of the truck.

There was some debate about the risk of entering them without giving the N2 a chance to dissipate once the door was open. The assertion was made "You can see the fumes clear as soon as you open the door. This requirement to wait 5 minutes is just a waste of time."

Some brave (or foolhardy) individual elected to open the door, walk from the back door of the truck to the front, turn round and walk out again.

Those present insisted he had a safety line and harness so, if anything went wrong, they could pull him out.

He got half way from the door to the front before he passed out and was (thankfully) rescued by his colleagues using the line or you would have seen this story in the Darwin awards.

On this basis I offer two pieces of advice.

1) Buy some bug spray.

2) Don't piss about with oxygen deficient atmospheres; you will die.

Feel free to ignore the first.

the atmosphere does not immediately become devoid of oxygen

and if you hold your breath and do not take a single breath while in the room/house/o2 deficient zone you should be ok

as long as your out before before inhaling

Edited by dragonstar57