Want Gmail, anyone?

Guest Evidence

the only thing about the invites is how, in a few months, most people who want a gmail account will have one.

like, evidence got one, and is now handing them out to people all over the world, who will hand it out to their friends, etc etc etc...

gmail was made with the aim of taking over the worlds leading online email services, namely hotmail and yahoo! they are doing quite well.

also is no one worried about the 'digital scanning' of your emails?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gmail was made with the aim of taking over the worlds leading online email services, namely hotmail and yahoo! they are doing quite well.

They were very clever - handing out invites makes people want an account more. There must be close to a million tester accounts atm.

They'll be giving hotmail a run for it's money soon, no doubt.

also is no one worried about the 'digital scanning' of your emails?

Not really. When you think about it, hotmail etc will already scan the message to get rid of spam anyway. If I have something sensitive to send, I'll send it using GPG. Not a big deal.

they need your email address, and apparently name to do this.... i would say it, but incase you dont want it publicaly said, PM someone, you said you PMed dave, but it expired, so maybe try someone else or sumin, but they need to be able to email it to you.

Even though it sounds trivial, one of the of the good things about something like gmail is that the email address is shorter. For example, blueyonder.co.uk takes more effort to type than gmail.com. Also, the shorter an email address is, the more special it feels, because with all the millions (billions?) of addresses out there a thirteen-character address would be rather sweet.

to J'dona, for about £10 a year, you can get a .com email address, such as jgarman@home.com or sumin like that... wtvr you want, plus some ISP give you free .com email when you sign up to there more expensive packages.

molecularMan14..... kl, you make games.... have you made any big sellers yet that people have heard of... also, i think this was you, but you said that your nick name was coz you joined on your 14th birthday.... how can you be 14 and own a computer games business?

Well we're a young company. As you may realize from this site, there is no shortage of intelligent 14 yr olds. So my friends and I spend some time programming games that people would like. We're not a registered co. (no tax for under 18 yr olds), but we make a reasonable profit from the games. We're definitely not super professional game programmers, but we make a good game. The thing is that we need all kinds of resources, so we're working on that now.

So far we've remade classic games, like breakout, and pacman...ect, with our own programming twists :). But our most current game is being reviewed by a couple people, and is a shooting/driving/running away from police/helicopters, and its very original.

After that we have plans to work on a long term RPG, but we dont have a sound plot yet. We're actually holding a contest to who can think of the coolest plot for an RPG. You can send your replies to our Yahoo Email - gamemakersunited@yahoo.com

or go to our -kinda shanty- website- http://www.gamemakersunited.tk

well you can go to our website and contact us for info about buying them, but we're really not offering many until TinyBoy21 finishes reviewing our latest one. Then we have to get it to an ALPHA version then finalize it.

For our latest game- it will probably be about $7, just b/c it took so long to program everything + there are a lot of exrta features like codes, and stuff that your car can do.

So far we've only sold them to poeple at our school, but hopefully soon, we'll be able to get to order them via WWW.

cool, cant see how you are running outta space with a yahoo! account with 100MB, surely you still dont need emails from a year or two back.... anyway, not my business.... gmail wants to take over the world with 1GB storage, and people like you make it possible for them.

i used to know how gmail worked, when it was first planned, but i've forgotten now, something to do with compressing the files and archiving them in the google database or sumin...?

I have would have no problem switching over the Gmail. We have a lot of messages from something called the GM forums, which my friend Brad is a member of ( Im not) so that's taking up some remarkable amount of space. Then we have the contest entries, and then messages concerning our business and such.

But truely, we would be so much better off with a gmail account!

Google knows that most people don't require a 1000MB inbox which is why they supply such enormous inboxes. The best thing about it is that it is extremely fast. That probably doesn't matter to people in the US/UK with broadband connections, but to lots of people else where thats a major factor in deciding where to create an email acount on the web. What I like best about gmail is their powerful labelling system which helps in organising your mail and is much better than folders.

tell me about this labelling system.... in yahoo! and outlook you can create hundreds of new 'inboxes', even one for every person you know... but what is google like?

also im guessing its fast because they've got a powerful server, which can hand out data quickly, it is maybe also a simple site and without ads, so this also speeds up the page loading.

Hotmail is very slow to catch up. My inbox size still remains at 2MB, been hearing about this upgrade for 250MB for quite sometime, but it doesn't seem to have happened to my account. Atleast yahoo upgraded to 100MB soon after gmail was introduced. Thats primarily why I stopped using hotmail sometime ago.

Theres also a free service offering 1 GB storage at http://www.rediff.com , this is quite fast as well but unlike gmail it does have a lot of adverts.

yes, gmail is relying on not everyone using the full 1GB, otherwise they could possibly run into some problems.

also how does the gmail organising your email system work, pulkit said it was good earlier, but never said why?

Hotmail is very slow to catch up. My inbox size still remains at 2MB' date=' been hearing about this upgrade for 250MB for quite sometime, but it doesn't seem to have happened to my account. Atleast yahoo upgraded to 100MB soon after gmail was introduced. Thats primarily why I stopped using hotmail sometime ago.

Theres also a free service offering 1 GB storage at http://www.rediff.com , this is quite fast as well but unlike gmail it does have a lot of adverts.[/quote']

Same here. My box remains at 2 mg. It kinda sucks for now.

In any case can someone hook us up with an invite? Is that possible or not anymore?

with all the people offering gmail, it is likely that you will get one, just be patient, re-post your email address / name and wait for someone who has gmail to come along and read this thread. i think early on dave said if anyone wanted one they could pm him.

As for the labelling, it is exactly what it sounds to be. Instead of putting mails in folders you put labels on your emails. These labels are user defined tags, for eg. you could define labels like : photos, joke, work etc. etc. An email can be associated with any number of these labels.

After doing this you can "archive" your message whereby it moves away from your inbox and into this big unorganised section called all mail. Now if I click on a label, all mails with which I had asociated that label would be listed. This is much better than having folders, because now you can put mail in multiple categories. Plus you can put up filters which will automatically sort out your incoming mail and apply labels to them as per your wish. THis is an extremely good feature, wherein all mails I recieve witha subject containing the words "_____" would automaitcally be labelled and archived.

The fact is that to search for mail, I can either look at my label listings or simply do a google search on my all mails collection. After all is said and done, emails are organised to a far greater extent than is possible in yahoo and hotmail.