What do you mean by Reputation?

needimprovement; As a reasonably long time casual poster on many forums over many years, the best advise I could suggest, is simply not pay any attention to reputation. First they can be manipulated by a small number of regular posters to a specific forum and/or the staff, with an intent to keep the general forum consensus in line with their standards. Second, IMO the average or casual poster never awards points (either direction) and third, if another poster is somehow impressed or aggravated by a particular post IMO, that person should reply publicly by posting, not secretly. I'd much rather have an opportunity to DISCUSS to cause for decent or show gratitude or be acknowledged for that gratitude, WITH IN the discussion.

I have argued these points many times, a few times here, having listed reputable people that have been humiliated into leaving a forum or for some simple disagreement in expressing a viewpoint, been suspended or banned. Unfortunately, there are many posters, some on staff at other forums (or the reverse) that get into a habit of attacking individual poster has they move around the various forums for simply not agreeing on some specific issue.

I guess Reputation is awarded by other users when they find your posts helpful. [/Quote]

If this were true or that points are awarded for "helpful post", how could anybody go negative. Without giving reason or recourse for you the poster, somebody has purposely chose to attack your post, for whatever reason. This forum had gone to "NO" poster falling below the entry level status, but apparently has changed back to allowing. To summarize, follow the rules, go with you feelings/opinions on issues, don't pay any attention to the internal affairs and get the discussion your apparently here to participate with in...Otherwise there are a good many "social networking sites", out there for "Pen Pals".

I have argued these points many times, a few times here, having listed reputable people that have been humiliated into leaving a forum or for some simple disagreement in expressing a viewpoint, been suspended or banned.

!

Moderator Note

We publicly log all those who are banned or suspended for infractions other than spamming (who are, alas, too numerous to deal with in this way). There isn't a single one who was banned for disagreeing with a viewpoint, it was because of rules violations, i.e. a poster who disagrees and does so with posts full of invective are going to be in trouble because of the latter, not the former.

Reputation is increased when someone likes your posts enough to give you reputation for it (now voting up and it appears as a green number on the post in question). For quite a while we had no negative reputation so reputation was largely a measure of how long someone has been here as well as the quality of their posts.

Negative rep works much the same way, generally given when someone is too disgusted with a post to reply to it. If you are polite and don't use logical fallacies you will hardly ever get any negative rep.