newest posts displayed first

thats not what i mean.

when viewing one particular thread i want newer posts to be above older posts

thats how all my other forums are set up and it confuses me when i come here and its different.

Edited by granpa

granpa, I'm not aware of any public discussion forums, where you can view the discussions post from either direction. What you might be referring to are blogs and/or reply sections to an article, where they generally are from the current backwards, the latest being first.

Having said this, you can access the discussion from the latest post on any forum format, simply by clicking the latest post and don't see any cause for your confusion. Since blogs/replies, rarely involve "quotes", it seems to me any confusion should be there. That is, any response should be directed at the article or blog, often not and it can be difficult to find to whom the comment is directed at.

Not being computer literate myself, it wouldn't seem too difficult to offer the choice of order, but would be counter productive. It's much easier to detect the change in tone/substance of a thread by reviewing backwards (natural) and most all good, but long threads do change directions, sometimes many times. For instance in researching real estate, where price/locations/demographics or some other factor may be important you can direct the software to list according to your wishes.

see "Thread Display Mode" under " Thread Display Options" at

http://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

(you might need an accout though)

the option for me are

linear-oldest first

linear-newest first

all my forums except this one offer this as an option

What you can do however is look at the latest (newest) post. The link with the arrow and the date of the last post will take you directly there.

Yes. maybe that is the thing to do. I'll just change them all to display oldest first and I'll just always click on the little arrow thing.

On the other hand, That might not work for links in emails. I subscribe to a lot of threads with instant notification via email

Edited by granpa

Interesting granpa, as The Physics Forum was one of maybe 30 I've played with over the years. It's been several years, but if available then, I was not aware of the option. There may be others, but I still fail to see the confusing angle and it's not hard to confuse, this old guy (me). Come to think of it, I recall a user name "oldgranpapa" (something like that) on the PF, was that you...

It appears to me, ALL these public forums and/or other sites are setting up for high speed for one reason or another (security to adding income) and your option request or other filtering options would be simple to add. However as still a "dial up user", I wonder how much longer I'd have to wait between pages.

I am granpa at physics forums

its confusing because i dont know whether to scroll up or down.

sure it only take a moment to figure out

but when you click on a hundred email links a day it adds up to

a lot of needless aggravation.

ok its prabably not 100/day but it is quite a few.