Legionella DNA

kina

If your asking how Legionella bacteria gets in the blood, I assume it's like all bacteria and gets in as a result of infections like pnemonia, as a result of cuts and grazes, and during surgery, or through common procedures like brushing teeth.

I actually meant Legionella DNA only. During pneumonia, one can detect Legionella DNA in blood and urine samples, but I can not really explain to myself, how it gets there. It probably has something to do with the immune system, degradation of bacterial cells within macrophages, kidney blood filtering... It is probably the same with other pneumonia-causing bacteria, as PCR is also used to detect their DNA in this samples. I am searching for an article about it, but I can not seem to find it.

Thank you for your aditional help

kina

It sure does. It means that the DNA is not freely floating around in blood and urine.To be precise, a limited amount should be during infection, however they do usually are not stable outside a cellular environment.

Edited by CharonY

I understand that, but...

"During pneumonia, one can detect Legionella DNA in blood and urine samples, but I can not really explain to myself, how it gets there."

So HOW does it get there?

Thanks for trying