Will I need hearing aids one day?

Astrid

I have a question regarding my hearing and I think this is on the right board. I remember hearing that someone who studied music theory said that if someone listens constantly to music or any other sound and always has that sound in the background that it can be as detrimental to your hearing as listening to loud music on occasion? Is this true and if so how can it be treated?

I hope this topic made sense.

I remember hearing that someone who studied music theory said that if someone listens constantly to music or any other sound and always has that sound in the background that it can be as detrimental to your hearing as listening to loud music on occasion?
Yeah, it's true. Constant, fairly loud background noise, or regular exposure to rather loud noises can cause a condition caused tinnitus, commonly referred to as "ringing" in one's ears. More info is available here: http://www.ata.org/about_tinnitus/consumer/faq.html.

Is this true and if so how can it be treated?
See here: http://www.ata.org/about_tinnitus/consumer/treatment.html.

yes, what most youngsters dont realise is that loud music ruins your ears, i dont listen to that loud music, consequently aren't used to it, if somone offers me a headphone with very loud music, i will not always accept as i dont like the loudness of it, coz im not used to it.

hopefully this will be very beneficial to me in later life.

my grandpa (92 years old) needs a hearing aid because the 'big guns' deafend him a bit in WW2, other than he can hear fine.

but then as a youngster, back in the 1920's, i doubt he listend to loud music, so maybe the human speciy will evolve to be able to listen to louder music, it will take a while though, and to all younsters, teens, and thinking about it, any age people, loud music isn't very good for you!

I must be an example of evolution. I've been going to rock concerts, listening to loud music for years, probably 10 years now. I used to sit right next to speakers in a cramped practice room for a local band. I've been in ziggys (night club) with this same band, speakers stacked to the wall.

I have 2 12"subs in my car, as well as 6 mid range speakers including 2 6x9 5 way, 2 6-1/4 3 way, and 2 tweeters. You can here it rocking from a mile away.

I had my hearing checked a few months ago, and everything is fine. I can hear the tiniest of sounds in silence.

However, I do occasionally have ringing in the ears.