H2O question

Thebushmaster

Here's my question if you boil water then convert it to gas and then convert it back to water will it redoes any other traces of elements in the water?

After doing the above can the water be consumed?

My theory:

boiling water to make H2O become it's gashes form then having the gas go throw a glass pipe and past a portion of the pipe witch has a close to frozen area allowing the water to the slowly become a liquid will greatly redoes other elements that are found in water.   

I haven't tested the theory, so some informaton on this basic topic would realy help.

Here's my question if you boil water then convert it to gas and then convert it back to water will it redoes any other traces of elements in the water?

After doing the above can the water be consumed?

Well yes you can. This is how fresh rain water free of minerals is deposited in the mountains and it is the principle behind distillation.

My theory:

boiling water to make H2O become it's gashes form then having the gas go throw a glass pipe and past a portion of the pipe witch has a close to frozen area allowing the water to the slowly become a liquid will greatly redoes other elements that are found in water.   

I haven't tested the theory, so some informaton on this basic topic would realy help.

You needn't test, it you have just reinvented the still, or distillation device. It works like a charm.

Well, in the Navy, we have distilling units. We pass the water through several stages. In each stage, the water is flashed to steam and then condensed. If I deciphered your OP correctly, this is pretty much what you asked.

Distillation won't eliminate all materials from water though. While many contaminants are solids with very high vaporization temperature and will be removed pretty much entirely via distillation (such as salt), some contaminants may remain. Organic contaminants for example can vaporize at about the same temperature as water and so would be hard to remove via distillation. In this case the purity can be improved by repeating the distillation, but only up to a point.

Distillation won't eliminate all materials from water though.

Oh yeah, we also have ion exchangers which mechanically filter as well as replace ions with H+ and OH-. This is done after the distillations, obviously.

Distillation can be made more efficient using reflux. Reflux is where part of the freshly boiled/condensed water is returned down the distillation column back to the boiling pot. The idea is the purified water that is returned or refluxed will scrub out impurities from the up-flow as the reflux flows back into the boiling pot. The higher the reflux ratio, the purer the final product. For example, you may have a boiling rate of 10 liters/hour. You might reflux 8 liters/hour and only get only 2 liters/hour final product, but that final product will more pure.

If there are heavy organics present many of these will become stream distilled. Steam can cause even high boiling organics to vaporize at temperatures lower than their boiling point. This technique is used to save energy by getting oils that might boil at 200C to distill at 100C. To change these dynamics one might be able to play with the distillation packing material. I would use something like teflon packing to create a surface tension wild card to help lower the organic steam distillation.

The opposite can also occur if we have low boiling organics such as ethanol. These will lower the boiling point of the pot. In this case, you would reflex, but you would throw away the first product, since the light weight organics will more concentrated at the very beginning.

I would not worry about inorganic impurities since these will remain in the pot.