What is a Proxy Server?

Encrypted

Hello,

Thanks a lot for the help about my ip adress problem.

But i still have a few more problems and questions.

1)How do i get a proxy server plug-in for Netscape 7.0?

2)What is a proxy server?

Thanks for all your help.

Encrypted

Proxy is a server that resolve for you ips.

For example, if you cant access to one webpage because your ip extension does not belong to mexico's range i can setup a proxy server for you, and you, using my ip can access the webpage (in your machine of course). or backward can block you from get an information.

Proxy servers (in some cases) can be considered as firewall.

1)How do i get a proxy server plug-in for Netscape 7.0?

I do not know what would this do, but i am sure that you need a proxy server(another machine) to make use of a proxy.

The plug in may be a proxy setup tool only.

I'm not real familiar with netscape, but I don't think you need a plug in. Look under "Preferences" or "Settings", and see if you find something that mentions proxy servers.

If you are looking into using a proxy server to help mask your identity, well, it will work with the web to some extent, but if you can even get an online game to accept it, it will slow you down horribly. Instead of a direct connection from your machine to the game server, it will instead be a connection from your machine, to the proxy, to the game server. The extra step will increase your lag, and in FPS games, more lag equals slower reaction time.

Proxy is a server that resolve for you ips.

NOooo, that would be a job for the DNS server.

For example, if you cant access to one webpage because your ip extension does not belong to mexico's range i can setup a proxy server for you, and you, using my ip can access the webpage (in your machine of course). or backward can block you from get an information.

Proxy servers (in some cases) can be considered as firewall.

Yes, a Proxy does this.

It also hides your real IP addy.

For example, if I check my IP simply in windows, it'll show my ip as 177.X.X.X

However if I check my IP on http://www.whatismyip.com, it'll show my public IP which is 66.X.X.X

I do not know what would this do, but i am sure that you need a proxy server(another machine) to make use of a proxy.

WinProxy is very good, but there are others out there.

The plug in may be a proxy setup tool only.

Netscape/Mozzilla does not require a Plug-in, it's all in it's Prefferences.

Like I said, in Netscape, you just plug in a Proxy server's IP and a Port, and you're good to go.

If you are looking into using a proxy server to help mask your identity' date=' well, it will work with the web to some extent, but if you can even get an online game to accept it, it will slow you down horribly. Instead of a direct connection from your machine to the game server, it will instead be a connection from your machine, to the proxy, to the game server. The extra step will increase your lag, and in FPS games, more lag equals slower reaction time.[/quote']

Not if you're running the proxy on your own machine or going thorough your own gateway.

Ok...

So how do i set up a proxy within my own machine(without the use of another machine)?

I went to preferences but it says asks for all kinds of stuff...what do i fill in there?

Encrypted

You mean you want to run a proxy server on the same machine you want to proxy? That would just be beyond pointless.

Are we talking about web proxies here, or SOCKS proxies? Squid is a very good open source web/ftp cache/proxy, but can be a bit of a nightmare to set up if you don't know what you're doing.

use a Router, you can config the proxy IP on that and they`re quite secure!

failing that use a gateway `puter, a little 486 with a good ethernet card will do the trick :)

else use an online proxy server, or zombies to use an existing IP that you can elect. only prob with zombies is that if they close the connection or bring in high traffic you can lose your connection, that`s where time zones come in handy :)

Im still confused....

All I want to do is mask my ip. I want to use something that won't allow anyone to see my ip address. I tried online proxy servers but man it makes my connnection slow. Do you know any good online proxy servers?

Encrypted

I have another question.

If i use a public online anonymity proxy server, how safe is it? Can the owners of the server access my computer, or send viruses and trojans etc. to my computer?

Plus, Is Norton Internet Security and Antivirus 2001 a good protection software? It comes with it's own inbuilt firewall etc. and i keep on updating it with live update and automatic update. So, is it a good program?

Encrypted

back in my evil days, well, lets just say one could do some pretty mean things to an IRC server with enough proxys at his control.

We used them, for instance, to have multiple connections to the same IRC network. It also allowed you to act a foo, without fear of being banned. These days, such behaviour isn't worth the risk, so unless you are truly looking into this for protection, I wouldn't mess with it. Even then just get a router.

Some proxy servers log who connects, some do not. I hardly think they would be any more able to send virus to your pc through ip then I would.

A proxy is a redirect. It is similar to calling a friend on a cell phone, who is talking to your other friend on a different line. You tell friend A to tell friend B something, and as you can imagine, due to this delay in transmission, it slows the connect.

So when you try to connect to google.com via some.proxy.server.com your IP connects to the proxy, which in turn retrieves the info from google.com. The proxy then directs the information to your IP. You can also trace IP's, so a person could indeed trace a proxy back to your IP with enough effort.

It is similar to calling a friend on a cell phone' date=' who is talking to your other friend on a different line. You tell friend A to tell friend B something, and as you can imagine, due to this delay in transmission, it slows the connect.

[/quote']

I know that is the mechanism you go though if you were to use Netscape's settings to connect to a proxy server, but are you saying that if you're running a software like WinProxy, and even though the app is installed on one of your own computers, the software itself connects to a server owned or affiliated with WinProxy Corp. and then uses their ip's to redirect you?

I was always under the impression that if you have a proxy server running on your system that it tends to more or less spoof your ip address, not go though a 3rd party system still.

Now you see.

Thats exactly what i try to tell you, i own (owned selled to a friend) a server. and i used it plenty times as proxy for mIRC :P and downloading some stuff.

And well i do not know how exactly WinProxy works, but seems to be a frontend for the microsoft protocols... (you could be able to set it up manually).

proxyservers are highly used by cable users, thats why cable users, cannot make some sort of direct connections.

and you can run a proxy in your machine and you could be able to connect to localhost 127.0.0.1 but its pointless. :S

NOooo, that would be a job for the DNS server.

DNS resolves ips, and other more important tasks, a proxy only makes connections lending the ip.

DNS resolves ips' date=' and other more important tasks, a proxy only makes connections lending the ip.[/quote']

Proxy will redirect you if the current routing table (meaning if the usual route via the DNS or the site you're trying to connect is blocking your IP) is screwed up.

What you said earlier was pertaining to DNS not a Proxy.