i challenge einstein & hawking ..........

npbreakthrough

Hello Science forums......

before i state my hypothesis...

let me make it very clear...

i am no scientist..this is all "what if"

and i only said i challenge these two great minds because i hope it makes

a shocking enough title to draw enough people in

what i am about to ask is simply question, i post it here

because i dont know enough scientists to ask this too in real life

but i promise...my hypothesis will either make you laugh...

or upset you..........

my hypothesis deals with the nature of black holes..

and proposes that the universe is in fact finite

one more disclaimer before you read it...

i am writing this, because i literally had a dream where somebody explained this to me,

i want...i repeat...I WANT ... VERY HARSH CRITICISM of this idea

and WANT TO KNOW WHERE I AM WRONG....

i expect that i am wrong

mostly because of my lack of understanding of this subject as a whole

but if you are a physicist and know more than i

i am begging to be enlightened...

okay...enough boring you

i propose that black holes....are not a force of gravity

but instead are a force of entropy

black holes are a place in which entropy is accelerated

and matter ceases to exist , and that matter which surrounds black holes are

led into it by a vacuum caused by the loss of physical matter, and thus causes the matter around it to coalesce into the formations of galaxiys we see now..all matter being sucked into...and rapidly disorganized ...

what if gravity itself is the result of entropy..what if the loss of matter is the thing that causes space \time to bend and become an actual force of attraction

have fun tearing me a new "black hole" folks....i am not putting any credibility on the line here....and admit i am profoundly ignorant of what i speak...

but when you do criticize this....make sure you don't use current "theory" about these things to attack it...i am questioning the whole theories of dark matter and black holes and the foundation for the principle of gravity.......assume Einstein himself is wrong and we have been looking at it wrong the whole time......

EVEN IF YOU FEEL THIS IDEA IS NOT WORTH DISCUSSING,

at least leave a curse word or two.........

First problem is that Einstein died in 1955, challenging him will in itself be a challenge.

The idea that gravity is a entropic force goes back to the work of Hawking [1] and Bekenstein [2] in the 1970's. It has been examined on and off ever since. (For example [3])

The latest interesting work is by Verlinde [4] who suggests that gravity is really an emergent theory coming from applying thermodynamics to the holographic principle.

--------------

[1]Hawking, S. W. (1974). "Black hole explosions?". Nature 248 (5443): 30.

[2]J. D. Bekenstein, "Black holes and entropy", Phys. Rev. D 7:2333-2346 (1973).

[3]T.Jacobson, "Thermodynamics of Spacetime: The Einstein Equation of State", Physical Review Letters, Vol. 75, Issue 7 (August 14, 1995), pp. 1260-1263

[4] E.P. Verlinde, "On the Origin of Gravity and the Laws of Newton", 6 Jan 2010, arXiv:1001.0785v1 [hep-th]

Edited by ajb
Better refrences

Hey man, any thinking is good thinking in my opinion. Your theory isn't bad, it all has to start somewhere. In my opinion your right. I am in the same position as you however, I am no scientist, just a kid with huge ambitions about knowledge. I think that there is negative mass in black holes attracting mass, but black holes aren't immortal, and will end once equilibrium of mass is equated. i think it's relatively ridiculous to postulate any factual theories on black holes, since we can't get close to them, and we aren't close to any anyways-- if we were we'd die. i think? So ya. I am sure others have their opinions too, but im expressing mine, as that is what you wanted

Being in much the same position as the op:

npbreakthrough,

I think it's a chicken and egg scenario as to the exact cause of a black hole.

The way we locate black holes by: "light and other forms of energy and matter are permanently trapped inside a black hole, it can never be observed directly. However, a black hole can be detected by the effect of its gravitational field on nearby objects (e.g., if it is orbited by a visible star), during the collapse while it was forming, or by the X rays and radio frequency signals emitted by rapidly swirling matter being pulled into the black hole."(http://answers.encyclopedia.com/question/can-black-hole-observed-81874.html)

I think that people have not been as mean as you expected because we all know very little about black holes.

npbreakthrough, I believe questioning is much more apropos. In challanging these guys to a "Winner Take All" you'd best be bringing along a big stick, knife or a gun. Face it, if any of us were as smart, we'd be in their "Hall of Fame". Good Luck

• 1 month later...