tetraammine complex

jordehwa

Well i know that if you add ammonium hydroxide to copper sulfate it precipitates copper hydroxide, then with excess ammonia it redissolves to form the complex tetraamminecopperIIsulfate.

So my question is, is this the same thing that happens with all copper compounds? Will copper chloride make tetraamminecopperIIchloride

or copper phosphate make tetraaminecopperIIphosphate? and whats the difference?:confused:

thank you

Edited by jordehwa

so my question is, is this the same thing that happens with all copper compounds? Will copper chloride make tetraamminecopperIIchloride

or copper phosphate make tetraaminecopperIIphosphate?

yes

They are all deep blue and soluble in water

Edited by Physicsfan

Think of a solution as ion soup. You're making tetraamminecopper(II) ions, so the anion doesn't really matter- unless it causes the complex to precipitate. If a copper salt is insoluble but its tetraammine form is, the solid will slowly dissolve in the ammonia.

Think of a solution as ion soup. You're making tetraamminecopper(II) ions, so the anion doesn't really matter- unless it causes the complex to precipitate. If a copper salt is insoluble but its tetraammine form is, the solid will slowly dissolve in the ammonia.

I think[ce][Cu(NH3)4]++[/ce] salts are always soluble,weather or not the anion is water soluble.

But i am not sure about a solution of tetraamminecopperIIphosphate. what copper salt is to be used? [ce]Cu3(PO4)2[/ce] is insoluble, so i think it should be [ce]CuHPO4[/ce]