Circle.

ydoaPs

Is a circle spinning near c still a circle?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is a circle spinning near c still a circle?

i seem to understand it is irrelavent and mostly already stated was incorrect in this scenario.

No what you don't understand is that angles in such spaces cannot be defined by arbitary circles centred on the vertex like they are in plane geomerty. A full rotation is still 2pi radians.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i seem to understand it is irrelavent and mostly already stated was incorrect in this scenario.

I'm starting to become a bit dubious about this thread as a whole; it seems to be going in a constant circular debate and I'd rather it didn't continue if some conclusion isn't drawn soon. Posts like this add nothing to the quality of the thread, which is hanging on by its teeth as it is. I also don't want spam hanging around on these forums, so if people don't have anything more to add to the debate, then please don't add it as we'll just be prolonging things.

No what you don't understand is that angles in such spaces cannot be defined by arbitary circles centred on the vertex like they are in plane geomerty. A full rotation is still 2pi radians.

see, a full rotation is 2PI radians. pi is no longer applicable. i don't have a problem with a no answer, my problem is with your reasoning. why can't the angle be defined by the space it is in?

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to the conclusion that the measure of an angle would change. The reasoning has nothing to do with the fact that pi is no longer 3.14......

Draw an angle with a measure of [math]{\pi}/2[/math] radians. have a line connecting two points on the sides of the angle. That line will shring due to the spinning. The radius stays the same. Since the distance between the two sides is smaller at the same distance from the center, the measure of the angle is smaller than before the spinning.

Is this a type of geometry, or am do I have no way of checking my posts?

It is time for my crappy diagram. the arrows are to show the direction of the rotation.

The distance between A and B shrinks as it spins, yet r stays the same.

The distance between C and D shrinks as it spins, but the radius stays the same.

Angle [math]\theta[/math] is [math]{\pi}/2[/math]radians while still, yet is smaller when spinning.

Crappy Diagram 1.bmp

[math]\pi=\frac{C\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}}{d}[/math]

C is curcumference, c is speed of light. d is diameter

here is one for angles:

[math]\theta=\frac{\theta'}{\pi}*\frac{C\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}}{d}[/math]

pi in the second equation is the euclidean pi

to get the [math]\theta[/math] into degrees, multiply [math]\theta[/math] by [math]\frac{180}{\frac{C\sqrt{1-\frac{V^2}{c^2}}}{d}}[/math]

Differential geometry deals with this.

What happens when you change the size of the circle that you use to measure the angle? The answer is according to the way you've defined the angle, the size of the angle changes! So you can't define an angle from any old circle as on such a surface the ratio depends on the size of the circle (and possibly where the circle is). However as the radius of the circle tends to zero the ratio always tends to pi, so you can deine the angle from the point where the two lines intersect.

Damn it - I spent a good few minutes hunting out [thread=381]this ancient thread[/thread'], but its relevance is diminished somewhat by the question not ever being answered.

I remember that thread! My reply on it was a more than a little retarded though, i think i'll edit it.

This thread looks like lots of fun too.

Why the hell am i still here?

Differential geometry deals with this.

What happens when you change the size of the circle that you use to measure the angle? The answer is according to the way you've defined the angle' date=' the size of the angle changes! So you can't define an angle from any old circle as on such a surface the ratio depends on the size of the circle (and possibly where the circle is). However as the radius of the circle tends to zero the ratio always tends to pi, so you can deine the angle from the point where the two lines intersect.[/quote']

All circles are similar, no angle change and there would be an angular speed change or w, since the circumference will get either bigger or smaller (given).

If the circumference gets smaller w increases if the linear speed remains the same, since a bigger percentage and thus a greater angle will be covered per t, the time. Vice versa if C increases.

The linear speed of a circle is just arclength/time. The fact that C becomes bigger doesn't have an effect. I see what your confusion might be.

The linear speed doesn't change because the arclength is the length m of the arc/second or t time, not an actual arc percentage of C, which would make a cirlce have a linear speed of only one speed which is ridiculous.

So linear speed is not proportional to the circumference, angular speed increases with decrease in C, and decreases with increases in C.

All circles are similar' date=' no angle change and there would be an angular speed change or w, since the circumference will get either bigger or smaller (given).

If the circumference gets smaller w increases if the linear speed remains the same, since a bigger percentage and thus a greater angle will be covered per t, the time. Vice versa if C increases.

The linear speed of a circle is just arclength/time. The fact that C becomes bigger doesn't have an effect. I see what your confusion might be.

The linear speed doesn't change because the arclength is the length m of the arc/second or t time, not an actual arc percentage of C, which would make a cirlce have a linear speed of only one speed which is ridiculous.

So linear speed is not proportional to the circumference, angular speed increases with decrease in C, and decreases with increases in C.[/quote']

I did not say the angle changes, what I said is that the way that youdagonapogos has decided to define the angle the angle changes, because he has defined it in a way that is dependent on the ratio of the diamter and the circumefrence of an arbitary circle which is not a constant in non-Euclidian spaces

The actual defintion of an angle theta between two vectors in a vector space where the scalar product (<x|y>) has been defined is:

[math]\cos{\theta} = \frac{\langle x|y\rangle}{\sqrt{\langle x|x\rangle}\sqrt{\langle y|y\rangle}}[/math]