Circle.

ydoaPs

Is a circle spinning near c still a circle?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Is a circle spinning near c still a circle?

The equation of a circle [math](x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2[/math] where (h,k) is the center and r is the radius. The equation of the circumference has no bearing on if it is or isn't a circle.

When a circle spins, the circumference shortens and the radius stays the same. Is a circle, spinning near c, still a circle?

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to see what the masses think about this. do you have a problem with that?

I don't see what the point of the poll is, seeing as it's not a matter of opinion, and the discussion itself is already underway.

I'm not interested in whether or not you think I have a problem.

ok, if a meterstick is flying at a substantial fraction of the speed of light then it isn't a meter long to the outside observers. the circle works the same way the LENGTH gets shorter in the direction of acceleration. that means even if the radius wasn't a line, it wouldn't shrink in a way that affects its length. does that answer your question? i would put some BIG diagrams on here, but i don't know how.

maybe dave could reply when he gets back from his holiday.

edit: the circumference is shorter, circumference divided by radius doesn't equal pie. saying they are equal would be like saying [math]3/2=1/2[/math].

i have come to the conclusion that since, it would still have the same equation, it is still a circle.

the definition of pi is the circumference over diameter, so i say that pi is not a constant.