Careers in Science

Dream

I was never exposed to in depth science studies but have always had a very curious mind in certain scientific aspects. With my lack of exposure I don't know how to turn my curiosity into an enjoyable lifestyle for myself and would like some metaphorical road signs for routes to take.

First off you will need a little background info on me. I am by nature a lazy person and through out highschool I did just the bare minimum to get by. As a result I am currently in my second semester at a community college.

However through out my life I have always had an amazing curiosity of relativity and have been constantly asking "what if.." for 19 years. I first wanted to be an engineer which designed thrill park rides, and I kept this goal until the summer before highschool when I realised this was a low-demand job. Then I just kept telling myself I would be an engineer of some sort one day, and took a few highschool classes geared towards engineering but gave it hardly any thought. Finally, in my senior year of highschool I thought I had a great oppurtunity.

I was chosen to intern at a company called Shapes Aerospace International for my skills in computer drafting with the program Auto-Cad. I thought perhaps this was my future but the company just used me for busy work all the time and I never heard from them again after hundreds of hours of time.

This is when I realized that I should live to my potential that was made evident by my teachers and parents. They all said I was extremly smart and needed to just apply myself and I could do great things. I knew this was probably said about every student but believed it was true for me.

I targeted anesthesiology for it's prestige, line of work, and lifestyle (yes I know it's almost sinful). When I enrolled in college I signed up for classes which are requirements for the UCF medical program but quickly learned they are some of the most boring classes ever taken.

Finally I realized I should not do something because it would be appealing to the masses as a career, but that it would be satisfying to my daily passions.

So I need help locating a career which would satisfy my daily cravings for speculation, experimentation, observation, and communications on the following matters:

-Global Catastrophe Scenarios

-Big Picture Astronomy

-Philosphy

-Morality

-Cause and Effect (especially the Butterfly Effect)

-The 5 Ws as it applies to humans (who, what, where, when, and why)

Anything that focuses on one of these points or especially how they relate to each other is desired.

PS: Please forgive my flawed grammar and simple-mindedness

Science is needed in most careers. I've always have an interest in Agriculture science, forestry, floriculture,aquaculture, farming and some green energy fields. Maybe you can consider these too. However, the pay is generally not compatible to for example...bankers, and you'll be more at the mercy of god. In good years, good harvest, in bad years or pure bad luck, some other things happen.

Global Catastrophe Scenarios - Yes. The FAO or some organisations is always thinking of world hunger issues.

Big Picture Astronomy - No. Limited, Unless it is some academic positions.

Philosophy - Yes. can think of some and apply it.

Morality - Yes. Thinking of profits or polluting the lands or living the right way.

Cause and Effect (especially the Butterfly Effect) - eh...Yes but I don't know what is the butterfly effect.

The 5 Ws as it applies to humans (who, what, where, when, and why) - Probably yes. In some case, it is not required to look too deeply into such things. But if you look into it and get some ideas, it is good too , I guess.

Edited by skyhook