Enzyme Question

pat

"Draw an example of a functional group found in an enzyme that would act as a base. What part of the enzyme contains that functional group? Explain how/why it acts as a base?"-----Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!!!

Oooh enzymes.

Okay, well first: what does a base do?

Although, it's even simpler than that:

What makes up the functional groups in an enzyme? An enzyme is basically a long protein strand folded up. So what are the units that make up this protein strand? Once you've found out these basic building blocks, you'll find that practically anywhere you look for a list of them, it will be divided up by type (i.e. basic, acidic...)

"Draw an example of a functional group found in an enzyme that would act as a base. What part of the enzyme contains that functional group? Explain how/why it acts as a base?"-----Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!!!

A enzyme is carbon based and therefore has electrons and neutrons. The electrons move around the neutrons carrying electrical energy. They together make up an atom. From there you get atomic bonding.

Now, to see whatt he base is, you need to say it is a nucleus, and I believe the nuclaic thingy will be your answer. Tada!

Now, to see whatt he base is, you need to say it is a nucleus, and I believe the nuclaic thingy will be your answer. Tada!

While amusing, that won't get you any marks. They're looking for you to give them an example of a basic residue. A nucleus isn't a functional group. Not in biochemistry anyway.

Enzymes are proteins, some require cofactor while some other not. For those which require one, usually the attacking group originates from the cofactor. To be easy, you may find an example of enzyme itself as a holoenzyme, and as it's a protein, functional group responsible for the attack should be due to functional group found in amino acids. So you may think in the direction which group found in amino acid would grant you basic properties.

Usually when talking about an enzyme the active form (i.e. holoenzyme) is meant. If referring to it as proteins it may be context-dependent whether the complete complex is meant.

There may be overlaps when processes are discussed based on pure protein or genetic information.