The transfers and conversions of energy

moonflower

Hi there, would someone be able to tell me if this is right or almost right or really not right?!

The scenario being explaining the transfers and conversions of energy of a diver. from walking up the steps to standing at the top of platform to jumping into pool and to start swimming.

So i have - CHEMICAL -INTERNAL & KINETIC - POTENTIAL & GRAVITATIONAL

(transfered from body to steps then once reached the top of steps)

POTENTIAL & GRAVITATIONAL - CHEMICAL - KINETIC & GRAVITATIONAL - SOUND&HEAT

( From board to a dive into the pool and on entrance to the pool)

CHEMICAL - KINETIC& HEAT & SOUND

(whilst swimming)

Thank you

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I am trying to gain a understanding of the transfers and conversions of energy whilst the subject (being a diver) goes through its motions.

Maybe i should be clearer ....

SO as the diver makes his way to the top of the steps chemical energy is transferred from the body to the steps(unsure of transfer) Work? converting into kinetic energy. as the diver reaches the top of the steps the kinetic energy converts to potential and gravitational energy?

From the board chemical energy converts to kinetic and gravitational and on entrance to the water sound energy? as the diver starts to swim chemical energy converts to kinetic and internal energy and sound as the diver swims through the water?

At this point it depends on how finely you are applying definitions. Work isn't a form of energy, per se. Doing work means energy is being converted. The chemical energy is changed into kinetic and gravitational potential energy via the work done. (In kinematics problems, work shows up as one of those two forms. Once you include thermodynamics, it shows up in a number of other ways as well.)

the question dosnt require fine definitions. What about the transfer of energy? how is it different to conversion?

Thank you for your time im feeling like im getting somewhere now..

The question may not require you to provide the definitions, but it requires that you know them. Transfer and conversion mean similar things. If I lift a box, that entails the conversion of chemical energy to the kinetic and potential energy of the box, and while doing that I have done work on the box. Work implies there was a mechanical (as opposed to thermodynamic) process involved, and that there was motion. But work is not something that I or the box possessed, as a property, unlike the chemical/kinetic/potential energy.