Red Light Cameras, Black Boxes, and other devices

Cap'n Refsmmat

Over here in the US there's a lot of controversy surrounding the use of black boxes (in cars), red light cameras, speed cameras, and radar jammers.

Here's what they are, just so you know:

• BLACK BOXES keep track of data such as throttle, brake usage, and seat belt use for something like 30 seconds before a crash. (The memory only holds that much, and it continually recycles the memory space until a crash). They are often used in accident investigations to determine who did what. But people claim that the boxes are an invasion of their privacy.
  • RED LIGHT and SPEEDING CAMERAS detect if a car is running a red light/speeding and will then take a picture of the car's license plate. A ticket is mailed to the offender. Well, people object to that too, saying that they are just there to create revenue for the government.
  • RADAR JAMMERS prevent the police's radar guns from working on your vehicle. Most states made them illegal, for obvious reasons. But more people think they should be legal.

So I'd like to hear your opinion. I think that jammers are bad, but the others should be used. If you have not broken the law, do you really care if they know how fast you were going? The only part I don't like is when cities reduce the yellow light time to make more people (accidentally) run a red light. That I don't like.

What do you think?

Well, I agree with you. The first too I think are okay. There are too many times some jerk completely runs a red light and sometimes it pisses me off (especially if I';m caught in the same light).

The black boxes are a little "iffy". Is it simply a matter of time before they record everything. E.g. as soon as you go over 100 mph. automatic ticket. Can you be tracked while driving in a "bad part" of town? At this point I think they're "O.K" but only time will tell.

Radar jammers are just like anything else. Legal until caught. Of course they should be outlawed, but if you wanna play the odds, get one.

My opinions:

Black Boxes--If they were only to be used to figure out if people are telling the truth in accidents, that would be a good thing. What happens when insurance companies can deny claims if you weren't wearing your seat belt? What if you WERE wearing it and the sensor malfunctioned? This begins to sound like the Patriot Act; erosion of basic human rights.

Red light & speeding cameras--These suck but I think they are actually a good idea (I believe they started in Europe). I hate the speed ones because they usually nail me at speeds I have a hard time maintaining (30-40 mph). I wish every major intersection had the red light cameras, I think trying to beat that red light is one of the most dangerous things you can do, especially because there's usually someone who's been waiting through the whole light to turn left. Inevitably some jackass punches it at the last second, in too much of a hurry to wait another sixty seconds. Cameras keep us honest by hitting us in the pocketbook, seemingly the only thing that gets through to most Americans.

Radar Jammers--illegal to use in most states, BUT NOT ILLEGAL TO SELL! This always blows me away about our view of capitalism. Every year at 4th of July they set up fireworks stands to sell you fireworks that are illegal to set off. Free enterprise means you can legally sell it to someone who can be fined or jailed for using it. That's whack, man! The police use radar, someone figures a way to jam it. The police spend taxpayer dollars figuring a better radar, someone figures a way to jam that. Did you know it's legal in 49 states to have a radar detector (not a jammer) but not if you put it in a commercial vehicle? Why, because they have a greater need for it? But when you buy one, they don't check to see if you're going to put it in your delivery van.

Sorry for the rant, but I think people lose their sense of perspective and compassion when they get behind the wheel of a car. People who would hold a door open for an old lady would run her over in a heartbeat if it meant they didn't have to wait at a red light for another minute.