How to find a private teacher?

Proteus

Look for personal tutors online. However, most will only offer teaching up to high school.

Another possibility is email the secretary of your nearest physics department asking if there is a PhD student or similar that would be able to help.

Either way, it will cost a little bit of money.

All the best with it.

In the impossibility of public education, how could I best find a private teacher for advanced, master level physics?

Welcome to SFN?

Just grab a book, start reading, and if you got a question, make a thread.

It's always nice to contribute back, too.

A book is a bit of a bulky answer to a single question. It will usually take reading the entire book to find the answer, and the rest may be too abstract (too much focus on mathematics and too little on logic), too hypothetical, too much metadata (when who what where), or not on my level (either below it, above it, or, most likely, both).

Surprisingly, after a second search with one search term less, I did find a lot Google results for private physics teachers, and contacted them.

It's good that you found someone. I think the best approach is to approach Universities directly. Lecturers will be happy to pass on the name of impoverished PhD and postdoc students. You can then ask them for a trial run and see how it goes. Good luck mate.

A book is a bit of a bulky answer to a single question. It will usually take reading the entire book to find the answer, and the rest may be too abstract (too much focus on mathematics and too little on logic), too hypothetical, too much metadata (when who what where), or not on my level (either below it, above it, or, most likely, both).

Surprisingly, after a second search with one search term less, I did find a lot Google results for private physics teachers, and contacted them.

What I really meant is that we have some math/physics persons here at SFN: Graduate students, Ph. D holders, etc..

Just type out a question, and maybe someone will be able to answer. Some of them might be interested in being hired to be a tutor, too; but I'm not sure what the admins would think of such things business deals going on.

• 2 months later...