What are your favorite news sources?

Cap'n Refsmmat

It's hard to find really good news sources on the Internet -- CNN's website usually makes me want to hit someone, for example ("do I really care about Tiger Woods?!??!"). I subscribe to the Times (of London, not New York) on my Kindle, but I think I could be getting more.

What sites/devices/formats do you use to get your world news? Newspaper, web site, RSS feed, electronic gizmo...?

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged

I might add that I'm specifically looking for global news, not just one country's politics and celebrity gossip. The Times is nice, but I think I could be getting more.

I can get online access to the Economist through my parents, which may be a good idea.

I agree that Google News is a nice way to go. Their aggregation is more than sufficient, and plus... You can also setup your own google page to remove stuff like Demi Moore being mad at Kim Kardashian for saying they were out "pimping" and how that is ridiculous since pimps are solely active in the sex trade.

You can filter out nonsense about which actor is dating which, and all of the other fluff.

You just setup your page for the top stories, and you can select where your emphasis is (science, politics, etc.). I even have one of my Google News sections dedicated to news on solar power since I'm interested in that.

After that, I only use RSS to follow certain writers I have found to be well-informed... Like that nice fella with the blog of doom. ;)

I agree that Google News is a nice way to go. Their aggregation is more than sufficient, and plus... You can also setup your own google page to remove stuff like Demi Moore being mad at Kim Kardashian for saying they were out "pimping" and how that is ridiculous since pimps are solely active in the sex trade.

You can filter out nonsense about which actor is dating which, and all of the other fluff.

I just subscribed to the RSS for World news only, so we'll see how good this is.

After that, I only use RSS to follow certain writers I have found to be well-informed... Like that nice fella with the blog of doom. ;)

You flatterer, you, no wonder you've gotten so many torturers.

Incidentally, you inspired me to finish up another blog post:

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/capn/2010/04/05/moderation-observations-part-2/

Yeah, you gotta wonder what makes the masses more qualified to determine what constitutes news. That's almost a step down from the judgment of the stereotypical mass media reporter with a BA in communications and a nice coiffure.

But I guess the flip side is that they might bump stories that otherwise wouldn't necessarily receive much attention, right?

I like to read CNN, MSNBC, The Washington Post and Fox News Online. Generally I try to avoid the news stories that they aren't all covering, and then drill into each report to find the nuggets they all agree on.

I figure at that point I at least have the best facsimile of the facts in a given story that I can get. From there I form my own opinion.

I will also get an aggregate of sorts by coming to forums like this, and a few others, where people will direct me to breaking stories on various other sites and blogs.

I don't know that there is a good single source for news.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to bump this to add that I'm also getting the 2-week free trial of The Independent, and I'm also tempted to see what the New York Times is like on the Kindle.

Anyone else have any favorites? I'm really enjoying actually knowing what's going on in the world.

As a member of 'Scottrade Premium' I have access to a good many news sources , not in any way limited to financial news, basically streaming from about 20 contributors or similar to what any newspaper or network receives. If something pops up interesting, I can usually access the entire article on screen and instantly. If anything like this exist, surely it must, I would suppose their would be a cost.

Since this a 'Science Forum', I suggest you take a gander at Fox New, especially their science section. By email I receive updates from several sources daily and have noted most all are already in their science section.

I do remember this thread when first submitted and the "Woods" comment, but generally speaking, you would have had a hard time NOT seeing that story on any news source. I'd bet (don't really know) it was the most googled news story for days if not weeks...

I do remember this thread when first submitted and the "Woods" comment, but generally speaking, you would have had a hard time NOT seeing that story on any news source. I'd bet (don't really know) it was the most googled news story for days if not weeks...

Very true. Even the "best" sources covered it. But at least they didn't emphasize it on their front page ahead of other international stories. CNN.com, even the "international edition," features many trivial stories on its front page. Today's "Highlights" are about a tower in the UAE that leans farther than the Tower of Pisa, people swimming with whale sharks, a shipwreck, and gadgets. That's not the sort of news I'm interested in.

My home page is Google News. I also browse the New York Times at least a few times a week, and I read through The Economist weekly. I also regularly browse blogs of various and disparate foci and ideologies, to see what stories people think are being ignored or misinterpreted by the "mainstream."