Are ions always aqueous inside the cell? (simple question)

scilearner

Hello guys,

So there are hydrogen ions inside the cell which is pumped out in cellular respiration. Now my question is when they say hydrogen ions are inside the cell are these actually dissolved in water, ions can not exist without being dissolved right, why is that they are so reactive otherwise. Also in diffusion when they say hydrogen ions are taken in by the cell, does water come with it because they are dissolved. So does osmosis and ion diffusion occur together. Thanks :)

Osmosis is defined as the movement if solvent from the area of high concentration to the area of low concentration.

Diffusion is when molecules spread out, move from high concentration to low concentration.

Therefore I would assume that during diffusion water gets inside the cell by utilizing the aquaporins. Hydrogen ions would utilize ion pumps to diffuse across the membrane. I don't think water gets in with the hydrogen ions. That would be more of a cotransport thing. The cell would burst in that case.

~Nav