Any good ideas? Asking for advice on possible next life steps

Genecks

I'm not typically one to ask for life advice, but it seems like I've been put in quite a serious situation. I come from Rockford, Illinois, which has 19.7% unemployment as of February 2010. It's probably 20% right now. My city has the highest unemployment in Illinois. As of the moment, I'm residing in Chicago. For what I understand, however, the availability of jobs in Chicago is narrowing and closing up, too.

I believe the areas in Illinois with the least unemployment are in the southerns area of Illinois and areas near the state capital, which is Springfield.

In general, however, I'm in debt as the typical college student is. I recently undergone the belief that it would do me almost no good to move back home after getting my B.S. in Neuroscience.

As I do have little job history, mostly because of the constant economic instability in Rockford for the past five years, I've come to the belief that I'm better off either homeless and traveling the U.S. for jobs, going to graduate school, or joining the military.

Now, the second choice obviously looks a little nicer. However, as with my lack of job history, I doubt I would be let in. I don't want to lock myself up in the military for five years, because I want to move on with my education. I wouldn't mind working for two years and then going into graduate school; but it appears that I might not even be able to land and keep such a job anytime soon.

I'm not interested in joining the military, because I don't agree with the war on my moral grounds. Maybe I'd work for the Navy, because I feel comfortable contributing in an indirect way as long as I don't have to actively shoot anyone.

Also, I still cannot seem to land a volunteer research opportunity around my campus. To get access to some graduate schools that offer a graduate degree in neurobiology/neuroscience, I've been told I need at least a year of research experience.

I'm in a situation I didn't see myself in five years ago. Not this bad, anyway. I didn't believe my hometown would ever get this bad.

People have told me that a bachelors degree does some good for a person; but it doesn't do too much. As of late, I've considered getting a masters degree in teaching/education in order to give me the ability to apply across the U.S. for a teaching job. I've even wittingly considered applying for the HOPE scholarship, because supposedly they force you to work for five years as a teacher in the U.S.. That sounds like a nice thing these days.

What do some of you think of my situation?

I'm thinking directly after I get my bachelors degree, then I should probably leave Illinois and seek a low-paying job in a place with low unemployment. At least that would help me pay off the loans. I wouldn't mind being homeless, but I'd want to kill the loans.

You can donate blood, donate plasma, donate sperm, and/or accept donations for sexual favors. There's also selling kidneys, eyes, and lobes of your liver.

Maybe I'd work for the Navy, because I feel comfortable contributing in an indirect way as long as I don't have to actively shoot anyone.

"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."-Samuel Johnson

Actually, joining the military wouldn't be a bad idea. With a college degree you would be offered a commission and begin your career as a 2nd Liuetenant. With your research background you could easily avoid a combat arms appointment and spend your entire hitch in the USA. You might even find that you like it.

Actually, joining the military wouldn't be a bad idea. With a college degree you would be offered a commission and begin your career as a 2nd Liuetenant. With your research background you could easily avoid a combat arms appointment and spend your entire hitch in the USA. You might even find that you like it.

I looked into that. Supposedly the government has been closing up a lot of research positions that officers have often undertaken, at least in reference to the Air Force. I could still apply, though. Other than that, I've thought about becoming a navy officer. I've been told they get maybe 4 hours of sleep a day. I think I could work off one REM cycle for a good while. I've done it before plenty of times for many days in a week. I find it entertaining after a while.

How long do you have until you get the BSc?

I'd say 16 months. If I knew I wasn't dealing with a couple more weed out courses (which are occurring because I'm a transfer student), I could probably take 18 credit hours and get out a little earlier. I never knew that the 300-level and 400-level classes would be easier. I've come to understand that taking 18 credits while under the weed-out scheme is a bad idea in my position.

Edited by Genecks

That's an exaggeration. It's more like 6hr a night.

Maybe. From what I've been reading, there has been an active attempt at preventing and weeding-out people from being officers. I don't necessarily see the logic in it, though. Once a person is in, that person is in until released.

I find it very sad when the attitude "I am against [this] war" ends at "but contributing to it is an economically safe and well-paid job". Makes weapon manufacturers look like honorable businessmen.

It's also sad that a bunch of mature people pulled out loans without the ability to pay them back. And it's also sad that businesses and banks allowed them to do such. Maybe the correct choice is having a civil war in America.

I find it very sad when the attitude "I am against [this] war" ends at "but contributing to it is an economically safe and well-paid job". Makes weapon manufacturers look like honorable businessmen.

In my defense, I was a fair bit more on the right side when I joined.

Maybe. From what I've been reading, there has been an active attempt at preventing and weeding-out people from being officers. I don't necessarily see the logic in it, though. Once a person is in, that person is in until released.

Not always. When I was in my weapon's track during officer's basic at Ft. Bliss back in the early 80's a fellow officer was accused of cheating on an exam. He underwent an officer's board in which he had the opportunity to challenge the accusation. I attended the board and served as a character witness on his behalf. By the time it was over even I was convinced of his guilt. The board found against him and he was asked to resign his commission. He had the option of remaining in the military as an enlisted E-5 or simply take an honorable discharge. He chose the latter, no questions asked. Surprisingly, he had been on an ROTC scholarship in college, which he was not required to pay back.