Why is it that Chemistry forums are obsessed with explosives?

SurfSciGuy

Every Chem forum I have been on has myriad posts on home made explosives. Why do you think this is? Is it born out of genuine scientific curiousity or are a load of terrorists trying to get some free info? Do you think it is acceptable to discuss synthetic methods for producing explosives on a public forum?

Not having a go, just curious.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, there are a lot of people who like explosions, and a chemistry forum is a good place to get the requisite information.

We do have a clause on dangerous information in the forum policy, which we introduced after a flaming great row about telling school children how to make rocket fuel.

Well' date=' there are a lot of people who like explosions, and a chemistry forum is a good place to get the requisite information.

We do have a clause on dangerous information in the forum policy, which we introduced after a flaming great row about telling school children how to make rocket fuel.[/quote']

I remember once our teachers telling us about Nasa inventing a compound that produced 5 times more energy than conventional solid booster fuel - it went all the way to large scale testing before someone pointed out that the by-products were solid not gaseous - gotta love Nasa. But I digress.

It does worry me somewhat that loads of little kids out there are making black powder and blowing their fingers off, but hey!

not to digress, but was nasa talking about FNO3 or C(NO2)4 by any chance?

Possibly - did they make large scale testing? The reason my teacher was talking about this is because when he was doing his PhD he had to use some of the stuff and it had to be ordered from a USAF chemicals dump in New Mexico. Usually the Americans are very good at labelling their chemicals, but apparently this one just came in a stainless steel tube with a sticker on it saying, "Before you open this make sure you know what the f**k you're doing".

Why is it that Chemistry forums are obsessed with explosives?

"Obsessed" or just contain some info?

as far as I`m concerned our chem forum is only a small percentage to do with Pyro (not the same as explosives) and the content about "Explosives" is less than a percent!

and as Sayo mentioned, isn`t it better they get REAL info rather than from these other sources like the "jolly rogers Crap Book"?

I think your exagerating it a little here :)

"Obsessed" or just contain some info?

as far as I`m concerned our chem forum is only a small percentage to do with Pyro (not the same as explosives) and the content about "Explosives" is less than a percent!

and as Sayo mentioned' date=' isn`t it better they get REAL info rather than from these other sources like the "jolly rogers Crap Book"?

I think your exagerating it a little here :)[/quote']

Okay I broaden my mandate to include pyro chemicals too.

There always seems to be threads floating around the top of the messageboard concerning whizz-bang - and also I am not just referring to this chem forum. Puzzles me, when the study of these materials constitutes a very, very small part of research in the chemical sciences. I'm not sure I'd agree that it is good to give out any information that allows untrained individuals to construct potentially harmful devices - regardless of whether that information is chemically sound or not.

the construction of harmfull devices won`t really be found on here.

anyone with intent and determination will find out how to construct such things without our help anyway, and are also likely to injure themselves or others as part of their foolishness, I think we ALL agree on that point.

however, where such intent it evident, would it not be Wiser to elliminate as many potential danger factors as possible by telling the truth? or by letting them read such "crap books" and doing it anyway?

I know I PERSONALY have talked a few such individuals out of their path of danger, and as result they lived long enough to say Thanx and had plenty of fun doing it the SAFER way!

it`s a rock and a hard place situation really, personaly I choose the lesser of 2 evils, and Educate rather than Dictate or play dumb :)

i would have thought the answer was obvious,

who wants to sit around wasting there day?

who wants to sit around, mixing harmless chemicals to give off C02????

no-one

who wants to be blown off their seat by massive explosions, have some noise, action, excitement and adventure in their life????

most people!!! [incl. me!]

and where better place to find out how to do this and to ask on a chem forum????

[by the way, does anyone have any spare francium lying around, id love to play with some, or at least just see it!! that is, see it in the air!!!] yes, i know what would happen to it!

I do not belive that those are terrorists who discuss explosives in chem forums. This is no way dangerous phenomenon but imo a bit childish, because all we are done such kinda stuff when we were much younger than today. :)

There are many other interesting and useful things in chem and its pity that most of them will usually not get half as much replyes than those dealing with pyro stuff.

the whole idea of terrorism is increased out of proportion by the media. if i really wanted to, i could mass produce trinitrotoluene in my basement and blow up a large building. just about anybody could do so also. it's not hard whatsoever. at the same time, you must realize that people generally aren't that stupid.

People that routinely make and deploy bombs (terror groups) are unlikely to require any help in making them. Most established groups have experienced or well qualified members who can provide training and instruction. So I really doubt they bother with the internet any more than with the cookbooks. They would likely think it is fairly amateurish.

explosions r cool. fun fun.

this is exactly what i mean, ppl like explosives, excitment! theyre different! out of the ordinary, and as i said just now, exciting! it puts some action back into life, that is... if it doesnt wipe life out entirely!

but hey, whos got the prob??????

if you dont like it, just start a new thread........

EXPLOSIONS ROCK ! ! !

Actualy it was at about the age of 5 that I remember seeing a well cool Firework display, that`s what got me "Hooked" on Chemistry. I wanted to know HOW and WHY, and so now it`s one of my many hobbies :)

so no, it`s not always a negative thing.

It was a mixture of sodium chlorate and sugar that someone gave me when i was about 8, that really first got me interested, especially when I couldn't light it with the normal flame of a match, but had to light it off the bright flare up at the start, and also when i couldnt put it out when i stood on it with a rubber wellington boot, and even more so when It wouldn't go out under water! :)

by the way, does anyone have any spare francium lying around, id love to play with some, or at least just see it!! that is, see it in the air!!!'] yes, i know what would happen to it!

Yes, sure 5164, I have a couple of Kilograms in my garden, I'll post them to you first class, just send me your address.