Metal vapors

Mr Skeptic

I assume that sodium is coloured because heating it past its boiling point also takes it past its first ionisation energy; so gives it its characteristic orange colour. But if thats the case, then wouldn't it be a plasma and not a gas...

Metals can be gases yes...its just that they have such a high boiling point that they are rarely observed in it.

After some thought, I didn't mean the first ionisation energy with regards to the sodium gas colour. I actually meant that heating sodium to a gas is enough to excite the electrons to give the characterisitc colour of sodium...not the ionisation energy

Sodium boils IIRC at about red heat but, in a vacuum (and that's the circumstances where you would usually get sodium vapour) it will generate significant vapour at a lower temperature.

A bit of web searching suggests the sodium lamps run at about 250C.

That's far too cold to excite the atoms to emit visible light, so it's far too cold to promote sodium atoms to the excited state that emits the yellow "sodium light".

Certainly the lamps run cool enough that , if it were not for the electric discharge inside them, they wouldn't glow visible at all.