Make a spark

saschah

Hey guys,

I have made a spudgun, but i'm thinking of the ignition system, i wont use teasers or stuff like that, i do have a spark plug but i dont know how i should make it work as ignition,

i was thinking maybe i could make my own little system with a switch 2 nails and the 220V comming from the net,

so i would put 2 nails close togheter in the spudgun, solder some wires on them make them go to a lamp and then to a switch, but my question is

Can I make a desent spark with only 220V from the net??

thx

I would strongly recommend you to NOT use the mains and instead find another ignition system.

1) By using the net of 220 VAC you would take a high risk of getting a dangerous electric shock, which have the potential to kill a human.

Ventricular fibrillation

A low-voltage (110 or 230 V), 50 or 60-Hz AC current through the chest for a fraction of a second may induce ventricular fibrillation at currents as low as 60 mA. With DC, 300 to 500 mA is required. If the current has a direct pathway to the heart (e.g., via a cardiac catheter or other kind of electrode), a much lower current of less than 1 mA (AC or DC) can cause fibrillation. If not immediately treated by defibrillation, fibrillations are usually lethal because all the heart muscle cells move independently. Above 200 mA, muscle contractions are so strong that the heart muscles cannot move at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_shock

2) When the spark initiates it will cause a short circuit, it would grow rapidly and with very high temperature melt its surroundings. Either a fuse will blow or you might start a fire.

Short circuit

A short circuit may lead to formation of an arc. The arc, a channel of hot ionized plasma, is highly conductive and can persist even after significant amount of original material of the conductors was evaporated. Surface erosion is a typical sign of electric arc damage. Even short arcs can remove significant amount of materials from the electrodes.

A short circuit is an abnormal low-resistance connection between two nodes of an electrical circuit that are meant to be at different voltages. This results in an excessive electric current (overcurrent) limited only by the Thevenin equivalent resistance of the rest of the network and potentially causes circuit damage, overheating, fire or explosion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_circuit

Fuse

In electronics and electrical engineering a fuse (from the Latin "fusus" meaning to melt) is a type of sacrificial overcurrent protection device. Its essential component is a metal wire or strip that melts when too much current flows, which interrupts the circuit in which it is connected. Short circuit, overload or device failure is often the reason for excessive current.

A fuse interrupts excessive current (blows) so that further damage by overheating or fire is prevented. Wiring regulations often define a maximum fuse current rating for particular circuits. Overcurrent protection devices are essential in electrical systems to limit threats to human life and property damage. Fuses are selected to allow passage of normal current and of excessive current only for short periods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_(electrical)

I suggest that you buy a small electrical cigarette lighter and use soldering and wires to move the generated electric arc to where you want it in your gun. The arc will be better suited for ignition and it will make your gun more portable.

you'll also blow a fuse probably as I did when I was drilling... and that other time where I touched the live wire when the switch was on, and that other time when....

(despite me being a physicist, I am dangerous when it comes to DIY, so I don't)

What is it you're actually igniting by the way?

A 99¢ piezoelectric kitchen lighter wired to a spark plug will do it, with no complications.

this is the easiest safest way to do it but why not just light it. That's what I have always herd people did. Spray the hairspray or pour in the liqueur, which ever you use and then light it, but now that I think about that, that does sound a little unsafe, but that's how I always herd it done. Or do this, buy a roll of fuze, it's inexpensive, or make your own, soak a string in a solution of potassium nitrate, I don't know the exact recipe but I am sure you can find it online, I hope this helps and I hope you can get your cannon working :D