simple physics problem

Oracle

I'm totally new to learning physics and was presented with this problem but the answer was never recorded during the lecture so I'm just checking on here if I solved it correctly or what went wrong..

"On the Monark Bike - What is the force required to determine a power output of 100W when pedaling at 50rpm?"

20N = 4kg x 5m/sec

100W = 6000J / 60sec

*just to note 1 revolution of the pedals will move the bike 6m

Are we assuming the bike is moving at a constant speed doing 100W worth of friction to cancel the power input? Otherwise, your force may have to vary depending on time. I think your answer will have to be a torque, unless you know the size of the pedals.

Thanks for the feedback.

This part is wrong — your units are incorrect. kg-m/sec does not give you Newtons.

How should that part be written?

in my notes it only has F=m.a2 (the 2 is a negative power - I don't understand that part)

Merged post follows:

Consecutive posts merged
Are we assuming the bike is moving at a constant speed doing 100W worth of friction to cancel the power input? Otherwise, your force may have to vary depending on time. I think your answer will have to be a torque, unless you know the size of the pedals.

Yeah not that much detail, just a constant speed.

Edited by Oracle
Consecutive posts merged.