Alternative Theories

haggy

As a new user I haven't been able to see how things have progressed at ScienceForums.net but I believe the users in the Maths forums mostly fall into a few categories:

. Varsity Maths Students

. Interested High School Students

. Interested Members of the general public

What I'm concerned about is the possibility of some people who have non-standard/alternative theories that use these forums to debate with those that are still learning what Maths is all about.

What do you guys think about adding an extra forum for these alternative theories so that people viewing them know that they are a bit less "mainstream". I think this would ensure that the less "knowledgeable" aren't confused by things they really don't need to understand.

Yeah, Great Idea.

I think that we should create some sort of a test(kind of an IQ, but more challenging like a BAR or the MCAT's) that each NEW Potential member Must take in order to post here.

I mean too bad for him or her that doesn't pass this test, after all, that would be a better to keep the site from being spammed by the Useless and Ignorant posts by the Gen Public? *Sarcasm Heavily applied and emphasized*

I think an example of a thread I'd put into the "Alternative Theories" (AT) forum would be that of the "Limit and Infinity". That way learners would know what they were getting themselves into when looking through the thread.

ed84c, I acknowledge that exposing people to new ideas wouldn't be too harmful but I think some threads merely make the water murkier for those learners, rather than broadening their horizons (in terms of knowledge/ideas).

atinymonkey, I don't know if it would be an 'if you don't have a degree don't comment' forum. I think it could be a forum where threads could be along the lines of:

. "I haven't quite finished proving XYZ, but what do you guys think"

. "This is my new theory, it's contrary to (insert mainstream theory)"

Some of the AT's are complete rubbish while others may be valid. This way "learners" could steer clear or delve into this "new territory" if they so wish.

I think most of what would be posted there would be "PseudoMaths" but a lot of those who have their "AT's" don't consider it PseudoMaths.

And almost all pseudoscientists don't consider it pseudoscience. Your point?

It could be a place for the Moderator to put those threads when they "pop up". Along with that "more valid" theories that aren't quite finished could be put there to gather feedback.

So far, the only far-out alternative theory I've seen in two years has been the thread posted a couple days ago on convergence of sequences. I've found that mostly people who are interested readers steer clear of those kinds of threads, and I don't think the forum would be used that much if it were to be created.

Thanks for the suggestion though, and it's good to have a new maths member around. We seem to be quite short in numbers ;)