What warrants a ban on IRC?

and i'm not talking about the kick flinging contest mods start every once in a while..

so, what gives a mod the right to ban somebody from IRC? and what penalty is there for a mod who issue an unjust and prejudiced ban?

edit:

also aren't all bans in SFN subject to the notification of the duration of the ban? aren't you allowed to know when the ban will be lifted?

Edited by forufes

sheesh i asked a simple straight forward question, why can't i get a reply in kind..what warrants a ban?..you're saying an insult of the mods..or that there's no reason; it's done on a whim..which is it?

not to mention are you actually one in the position to answer..as i'm asking the rules which you're supposed to follow, not rules which you administer..

and fuzzwood, i didn't mind the kick you gave me, that's why i said the first sentence..:embarass:

regardless of whether the ban is lifted quickly or not, it still is a humiliating punishment which requires a proper reason. such reason should be declared somewhere for those who use IRC to be aware of, just like the forums. if there are no reasons for bans from IRC -unlike the forums- then that should be declared so those who use IRC be aware of it too.

i just want to follow given rules..objective ones, it's much easier than trying to enforce my subjective ones. and the debate that entails such path.

you see..i don't mind whether the rules are fair or not, being able to play by them is enough for me..

so am i to conclude that banning out of IRC doesn't follow rules??..and doesn't have penalties for crossing said rules? that it's a "no trial - immediate sentence" zone? a tribunal where the mod is judge, jury and supreme court?

What warrents a ban on IRC?

A channel ban is normally handed out for continuously ignoring warnings about being rude, childish, spamming trolling etc... Broadly similar to the forum rules. It is basically down to the OPs decision. It is much harder to enforce a moderation program on IRC as there are different people as OPs and decisions often have to be made quickly. Bans are rarely permanent and tend to only be in place for a short time to give people time to cool off.

A network ban is usually given for breaking the AUP. But the IRC network (and SFN in general) reserves the right to refuse the use of it's services to anyone. IRC is a privilege, not a right.

Aerv has decided to kick me every time I say anything, he has refused to give a reason and he has refused to even let me discuss why he is doing it. I realize that as a channel operator he has the right to do this but if SFN wants to be a place that promotes intellectual honesty and an open discussion I would suggest we move our official chat to a place that isn’t run by people who go off on pointless power binges of kicking and banning people they don’t like for no reason other then the fact that they don’t like them.

Aerv has decided to kick me every time I say anything, he has refused to give a reason and he has refused to even let me discuss why he is doing it. I realize that as a channel operator he has the right to do this but if SFN wants to be a place that promotes intellectual honesty and an open discussion I would suggest we move our official chat to a place that isn’t run by people who go off on pointless power binges of kicking and banning people they don’t like for no reason other then the fact that they don’t like them.

:confused: i thought they were joking with you...?

i even considered(since this is the first time i see you on the forum) that there is no one "bob", that they take turns logging in by that name and race to who would kick him first, then they'd swap places and so on..