Evolution vs Creationism

Hello!

I am a student in Estonia and am currently writing a research paper on how the creationism vs evolution debates and issues are affecting society. I would be grateful if you took the time to fill in a small 10-question survey on this subject. I would use the responses to generate statistical information for my paper.

The address is: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/57GMMJR

I am sorry if this is considered as spamming, but living in Estonia, it is really difficult for me to get into contact with the target group of my paper (US and UK citizens). Plus, the forum topic seems to be relevant..

I'd really appreciate if you took just a minute or two of your time for this :) And of course, I'd be happy to share both the survey results and the paper itself once I'm done.

Just a couple of suggestions:

Question 4, "Income" -- Some people do not like to divulge personal financial data. You should include the option, "Prefer not to answer".

Question 9, "Do you tolerate different opinions in this matter?" -- I can't accurately answer simply "yes/no". My level of tolerance depends greatly on the actions and attitude of the person offering the opinion.

Question 10, "Is/was evolution or creationism taught to you in school?" -- I was taught creation in Sunday school bible classes when I was young. However, I do not recall ever seeing it in public school.

Indeed, I've been inaccurate with some of the questions. I can't make any changes anymore, though.

The income question is not required and you won't get an error message if you leave it blank. As for the 'do you tolerate different opinions' question, it is formulated in this way intentionally, so that the responder would be straightforward and choose the answer they rather agree with, even if it depends on various other things. In the last question, I meant public schools.

• 5 weeks later...
Hello!

I am a student in Estonia and am currently writing a research paper on how the creationism vs evolution debates and issues are affecting society. I would be grateful if you took the time to fill in a small 10-question survey on this subject. I would use the responses to generate statistical information for my paper.

The address is: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/57GMMJR

I am sorry if this is considered as spamming, but living in Estonia, it is really difficult for me to get into contact with the target group of my paper (US and UK citizens). Plus, the forum topic seems to be relevant..

I'd really appreciate if you took just a minute or two of your time for this :) And of course, I'd be happy to share both the survey results and the paper itself once I'm done.

I'd be happy to give you my side being a PHD in molecular biology and siding with Creation Science. Interviews would need to be conducted via e-mail due to my time constraints. Today is an exception to the rule, I have a day off :).

(moderator note: Fake Dr. Sullivan is, as the name suggests, a fraud. The real Dr. Sullivan, an evolutionary biologist, speaks out against creation science.)

Edited by Cap'n Refsmmat
add a disclaimer

I'd be happy to give you my side being a PHD in molecular biology and siding with Creation Science. Interviews would need to be conducted via e-mail due to my time constraints. Today is an exception to the rule, I have a day off :).

I thought for something to be science, it had to be falsifiable? What kind of experiment would prove/disprove creationism?

• 2 weeks later...

I am of the POV that the symbols of Creation are talking about a subset of evolution, connected to the dawn of the modern human mind. If we take the literal time frame of Creation, it doesn't coordinate with the sciences of cosmology, geology, biology, etc.. But it does coordinate fairly well with the rise of human civilization. That is my bridge for reconciliation.

Let me give an example of the misunderstanding I see. Einstein wrote his paper on relativity in 1905. Before that publication, this important idea did not exist. If relativity is true, relativity has actually existed from the beginning of the universe. Einstein did not invent anything, but brought a natural phenomena to light. We place the 1905 date on relativity, based on when it first appeared to wide spread human consciousness in a published form. We don't say relativity is actually billions of years old and try to debate the 1905 date.

In my POV, the symbols of Creation dates when these original evolutionary concepts appeared. The new version of the human mind was now getting up to steam, and was also beginning to invent other things needed to set up civilization. Like relativity, it is not dated when the actual phenomena entered the universe, billions of years ago, but when it was published. Those writings are very old.

To turn this around so one can see how silly the debate is, for now on, to be consistent with the requirements of the evolution-creation debate, if evolution is indeed true, Darwin did not invent it in 1858, when it was published. It was always here. It was invented by nature billions of years ago. To say Darwin came up with the idea 150 years ago, is sort of like what religion is doing. It is out of touch with reality, but is nevertheless true in the sense of first awareness within human history

With the rise of civilization, the human mind expanded. The knuckle dragging pre-humanoids (intellectual sense) went from picking fleas, to starting to ponder the universe, nature and other whys??. The first human theories to be put into publication is about 7000 years ago. They created the original concept of universe, sort of like Darwin invented evolution. But neither invented anything, since these were both there long before Darwin or Adam were around. Both merely brought it to light for other humans, "let there be light in the darkness".

Common sense doesn't apply in the religious battle between evolution and creation. Science believes evolution started billions of years ago but also says it was invented in 1858. There is a paradoxical inconsistency, just like in religion. If I wished to start another irrational debate, we can debate 1858 versus 2-billion years ago. That would be just another 7000 years ago versus 13 billions years ago.

Common sense doesn't apply in the religious battle between evolution and creation.
No, it seemingly does not.
Science believes evolution started billions of years ago but also says it was invented in 1858. There is a paradoxical inconsistency, just like in religion. If I wished to start another irrational debate, we can debate 1858 versus 2-billion years ago. That would be just another 7000 years ago versus 13 billions years ago.

Well, there is a difference in that no one seems to be saying evolution never happened until 1858. There are, unfortunately, creationists stating there was no life before 7,000 years ago.

This does not invalidate all creationists, however. There are many with a creationist view that does not conflict with science (i.e. a 13B y.o. universe, 4B y.o. earth, evolution etc.).

Edited by SH3RL0CK
correct typo