The most important advances in science of the last decade

seouldavid

I am not qualified to comment on most of these, but I would dispute the two particle physics ones.

On the dark matter front, the two events from Soudan are not statistically significant. The statistical error on 2 events is [math]\sqrt{2}[/math], so the result is basically [math]2 \pm 1.4[/math] (the systematic error is small). This is not even evidence, never mind discovery. (CDMS, the actual collaboration, agree with me: "We estimate that there is about a one in four chance to have seen two backgrounds events, so we can make no claim to have discovered WIMPs.")

As for the LHC, it is not a scientific achievement until it does some science. So far, it is an engineering achievement (albeit a great one).

No mention of Grigori Perelman's proof of the Poincaré conjecture? The conjecture states that every simply connected, closed 3-manifold is homeomorphic to the 3-sphere.

The journal Science in 2006 said the proof was the "Breakthrough of the Year".

Perelman refused the Fields medal in the same year.

No mention of Grigori Perelman's proof of the Poincaré conjecture? The conjecture states that every simply connected, closed 3-manifold is homeomorphic to the 3-sphere.

Not sure I would call that science. I would call that maths.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.